Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Is the post office reliable Hanoi

• averydka99

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Hello,
    Has anyone used the post office in Hanoi to mail items back to the states? Was thinking of doing this after visiting Sapa and Ha Long Bay area.
    Thank you

#1 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 09:48

• Advertisement

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Can't speak for Hanoi but we did send a package back from Saigon to the US, took 2-3 months on the slow boat but everything arrived in one piece with no problems.

As long as you aren't in a hurry to get your stuff it shouldn't be a problem.

#2 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 11:37

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

And I can't speak for the States, but have posted a few things back to the UK from the main PO in Hanoi (the International office near Hoan Kiem lake) and a sub-PO near where I live and it's always arrived.

#3 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 14:18

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

I sent a letter from my hotel in Hanoi and it arrived to destination!

#4 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 16:41

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

We posted stuff back from both Saigon and Hoi An and arrived safely. Took a time (4 months) but it got here.

#5 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 17:38

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Sea mail takes forever (4 months from Hoi An to Oregon) but the VN VNPT is quite reliable. Be very careful with fragile items, as any package will be opened by US Customs and then resent to you. Although my figurines were packed very well, they did arrive chipped, and I blame US Customs for not properly repackaging. Post cards/letters usually take 2 or 3 weeks and these go by air. The PO is also a place for international phone calls.

#6 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 01:52

• crazyreckle-
    ss

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2013

I sent four postcards at the "post office" in the Hanoi airport. Its been over two weeks and no one has received one! One of two things happened though I am sure its the latter. They are going the long way to the USA or she stole my money. She charged me 20,000 VND for one postcard to the USA (which now I've learned is overpriced). Not only that, I stupidly handed over the cash and she took the postcards and placed them on the desk. I waited a bit to see if she was going to stick stamps on it. She never did and she saw me waiting and said don't worry I will send it. Nothing more that I could do except make a scene but I wasn't sure how far I should take it. Its not a lot of money but its the PRINCIPLE of the matter. Myself and four friends have an unhealthy obsession with sending each other postcards so I am PISSED and feel like going to Hanoi to settle it. But that's just my NYC talking. I should have followed my instincts and took the stamps myself but I didn't and I won't be satisfied until I blast it all over the internet that the little booth has THIEVERY written all over it.

#7 Posted: 19/5/2013 - 20:14

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

It has already been 2 weeks, oh my goodness she probably did steal your dollar what are you ever going to do???

Maybe have some patience before you go on a rampage burning down post offices...

#8 Posted: 19/5/2013 - 21:26

• BruceHaydon

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2013

OMG it's been two weeks ...... and she stole your one dollar ?
    It could take more than for weeks to be there my friend .

#9 Posted: 20/5/2013 - 20:52

• tahuuson

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2013

I think you need 2 week for your gift can go to your friend. Have some reason make it go too late, but It always go to destination

#10 Posted: 20/5/2013 - 21:37

• Advertisement

• ninnadj

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2013

I have posted a package from Hai Phong to Athens (Greece) in April through Vietnam Post.
    It seemed like it was the first time the staff there did something like that and I was told it will arrive in about a month, max 2 and worst case 3 months.
    Recently I looked up the online tracking system and on one page it first showed that the package has been shipped to GEORGIA. there is also a city called Athens but in Georgia, USA.

Then when I scrolled down it said that the shipment arrived to Athens GRETHA by a plane. I paid for a boat transfer but hoped might be a lucky mistake. So I googled it and contacted them and they said that they have not received anything.

I also wrote to the email address published on the official Vietnam post site, as well as my shipment confirmation note. No answer. Then I wrote to their FB page and that is the only place where I received feedback. However, not much of a progress here - got two more e-mail addresses to contact and been informed this is not an official Vietnam Post FB page and nothing more they can do.

Nine e-mails later, still not a single reply received.

The only thing thats left is a follow up phone call tomorrow, because the first time we called they were clueless.

Now, I am leaving Vietnam soon and have a lot of things to bring home. I am considering shipping it instead of paying the airlines, but when I went to the International Postal Service in Hanoi, the staff there told me they do not have any guarantee that the package will arrive because it never happened to them that the package did not arrive.

Any advices on what to do?

Thanks,
    Ninna

#11 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 10:05

• frere

Click here to learn more about frere
    Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

I never lost anything but was worn out on my last day going from PO to "box shop"... then she allowed me pack everything and then kindly helped me take it to the weighing machine. "It is too big" anyway .. more time and then the VAT which I might have anticipated and having to take some of the merchandise home.

It all arrived but cost me quite a bit more than anticipated and took a lot of time.

Not complaining - other times have been fairly trouble-free but parcel post is expensive. Plenty of scams here in UK - cash for honours; massive payouts to those least in need and often a "reward for failure".. a few dozen more if you want to follow this up. In Vietnam it is more open and I prefer this, though would prefer neither.

#12 Posted: 19/7/2013 - 09:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sigon Post Office ... By dcuhel on 4 Jun 2007 5 3957 1 Aug 2011
Luang Prabang post office address ... By bd7391 on 27 Jan 2013 1 1663 28 Jan 2013
Pattaya Travellers: Beware of Maneerat Transport & Travel (on Soi Post Office) ... By hunghung on 15 Apr 2008 19 4384 12 May 2010