Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

HCMC to Dalat bus

• villanovaju-
    nction

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

howdy,
    i found a company called sinh that has buses and all sorts of tours. i will be in HCMC from 27th Nov to the 6th of December and after some reading have decided to spend maybe 2 or 3 days in dalat. the bus is 6 hours and the flight is about 40 minutes . how is the bus ride? is it really bumpy like the vientiane to vang vieng bus? also, is it really 6 hours? i remember taking a bus from phnom penh to battambang and it took 11 hours and it was terrible cause they were blasting really loud music for the entire ride which made it impossible to sleep.
    do advice!

cheers

#1 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 22:42

• Advertisement

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Sinh Cafe is a very well known bus/tour company in Vietnam and we took their buses all through Vietnam.

We did Dalat to HCMC with Sinh and 6 hours sounds about right, our bus was only half full so lots of room to spread out. The bus was comfortable and on time. I don't remember them playing any music on the bus and if they were it wasn't loud and just at the front where the driver was.

I always vote for overland travel if you have the time over flying.

Make sure it is the REAL Sinh Cafe as there are a lot of imposters out there using the same name.

The one caveat I'll mention is it didn't sound like you enjoyed the VTE-Vang Vieng and PP to Battambang trips. We didn't have problems with either of those trips or find them particularly long or uncomfortable so if you didn't like those you might not like the bus trip to Dalat.

We went with local bus companies for both of those trips as well and didn't have any real issues.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 23:27

• villanovaju-
    nction

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

thank you very much sir for your kind reply. my pp to battambang bus trip was bad mostly because of my fault..i had some herb so the 11 hours felt like 39 hours. but yes i dont like bus trips at all. how did you like dalat?

#3 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 00:26

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Dalat was ok but hardly a must see in my opinion.

We were only there for a couple of days, the best part was that Dalat was at altitude so it was quite a bit cooler than Nha Trang & Hoi An where we had come from.

#4 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 03:08

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

I'd also recommend that Sinh Cafe bus, and the ride is generally nice, and quite scenic as you approach Dalat. I took it in the other direction in May, and it was probably my best Vietnam bus ride.

The one I took only held around 20 people, but it was comfortable and pretty much all the passengers were fellow foreigners. On my Nha Trang to Dalat bus, plus all my Mekong Delta buses, I was the only foreigner and the seats were smaller plus all the announcements were only in Vietnamese. I believe the Sinh Cafe buses are the only ones that really cater to foreign tourists.

#5 Posted: 6/11/2010 - 07:28

• villanovaju-
    nction

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

thank you rawjer! i will arriave in hcmc, visit sinhs office to sort out the rest of my tour, spend a few days in dalat then chill out for the remainder of my 10 days in ho chi minh city. not a very adventurous plan, but my girlfriend and i are just planning on taking it easy. we stay in singapore, so budget flights to thailand/vietnam/cambodia are very convenient. all these countries are about 2 hours flight away. because our work doesn't allow us many days to travel, we end up doing segments of travel at a time.
    once again thanks for your advice! sinh cafe it is

#6 Posted: 6/11/2010 - 11:52

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

The Sinh cafe bus I got in March this year took about 9 hours because of road works but was very comfortable. We made 2 stops on the way, both times with really good facilities. The airport at Dalat is a long way from town so you still have a very expensive long taxi trip to organise when you arrive unless you can get the Vietnam airlines shuttle, which ends in a fairly inconvenient spot (and it fills quickly so you can't guarantee to catch it). I love Dalat, even without the lake. I'd be interested to know if the work on the lake has been completed.

The alternative is to get the overnight train to Nha Trang and then catch a sinh cafe bus from there; I understand it takes only 4 hours now. That would give you time in Nha Trang as well. My own preference there is for the end of the beach away from the tourist area and closer to the town.

#7 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 06:36

• villanovaju-
    nction

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

thanks violets for the useful info

#8 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 15:25

• NoPlaceToBe

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2010

I would say Dalat is far more interesting than Nha Trang (to whoever said oposite)Nha Trang was my least favorite place in Vietnam, Dalat had far more to offer, treking, canyoning, mountain biking etc the highlands being a far better place to do all these and we found the people to be nicer as well.

#9 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 13:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.