Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

quickest way from Phu Quoc to Ko Chang

• Goldigga

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

We have just arrived in Hanoi today for 3 weeks in Vietnam and will be ending up on Phu Quoc hopefully. We then plan on hitting the easterns islands for 2 weeks, Ko Chang, Ko Maak & Ko Kut to finish our trip.

What is the quickest way of getting from Phu Quoc to Ko Chang? I seen this previous thread on this subject, but this was done over land through Cambodia
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/113
    This looks like it would take 2 - 3 days to do and as we will have already done quite a lot of travelling in our six weeks in Thailand & Vietnam we would prefer to have 2 full weeks at the end to kick back on the islands and relax.

Am i looking at flying Phu Quoc - HCM - Bangkok then bus it to Trat? or there any other alternatives? Cheers

#1 Posted: 6/11/2010 - 14:23

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

alternative flights:

Phu Quoc - HCMC - PP. Then bus to Koh Kong (4-5 hours) another 1-2 hours to reach Ko Chang then. That's a risky trip since you may have missed that bus to Koh Kong when you arrive in PP. I don't know exact times for that bus. You could consider private taxi from PP. They will probably charge you $40 for that.

But the overland option is not bad (timewise at least) and competitive, if you consider check-ins, transfers, waiting times and price, and it can be done in a day if you take the early morning ferry from Phu Quoc.

-morning ferry to Ha Tien (1,5 hours)
    -connecting bus to sihanoukville (3-4 hours (incl time for border crossing)). You can buy an all-inclusive ticket (ferry +bus roughly $30 pp to SHV) on Phu Quoc.
    -when arriving in the afternoon in SHV, quick lunch, stretch your legs and hire a private taxi to take you to border/Koh Kong (3-4 hours). Probably $25-40 for that taxi
    -cross border and to Ko Chang

#2 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 12:45

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Unfortunately,I don't think the above scenario would work.The bus from Ha Tien to Sihanoukville leaves at 12.30,and doesn't get to Sihanoukville till about 16.30-17.00,which wouldn't give you enough time to get to Koh Kong, Trat and Koh Chang.You could get the morning ferry to Ha Tien,go to the border and take a taxi direct to Koh Kong.I've done that several times,it takes about 4-5 hours to KK from Ha Tien,and costs around 75USD.Then you would go to the Thai border, Trat and Koh Chang.A lot of traveling,but it could be done in a day.The alternative would be to cross to Ha Tien,and take the afternoon bus to Sihanoukville.The next morning there is a bus from there to Koh Chang,which leaves at 08.00, gets to Laem Ngop at around 15.00,and costs about 30USD.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 17:46

• Goldigga

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2010

Thanks for the replies guys. Our plans are changing a bit now though. We hadn't origanally planned on visitng Cambodia to see Ankor Wat, but we couldn't miss the opportunity while we are in this part of the world. So the rest of the trip is looking like this

HCMC - 2 days

Fly to Siem Reap - 3 days

Taxi / Bus to Phnom Penh - overnight stay

PP - Chao Doc by boat
    2/3 days around Chao Doc / Can Tho

Can Tho - Rach Gia - PQ Taxi / Ferry or fly
    Phu Quoc 4 nights

Phu Quoc - Ha Tien - Sihanoulville Ferry / Taxi
    Sihanoukville - 1 night

Lazy Beach - Koh Rong 2 days

Koh Rong - Sihanoulville - Trat boat / taxi

Koh Chang and surrounding islands 9 days

I have heard that Lazy beach on Koh Rong is a great spot. Is Ko Russei worth visitng also? We could spend a few less days on Koh Chang to do this. Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#4 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 11:27

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Looks like a good plan. Ko Russei is nice as well but a lot closer to the main land.

Advantage is that there are better accommodation options and probably more food choice but it lacks the real getaway feeling. Although the bungalows on the other side (not facing main land) of the island also have a real getaway feeling to it but the island still receives daytrippers that do an island tour. Not a real problem since it's probably only 30-50 people per day during lunch time or so.

All in all not that much difference between the two. I wouldn't say there's that much difference between the two and not worth to switch. But then again, I'm not really an island/beach lover.....

#5 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 15:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cheapest and quickest way to reach Sihanoukville from Ko Chang? ... By MartinaSmartiz on 16 Jan 2014 3 541 17 Jan 2014