Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Visa and Onward travel

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Ok so today i went to book my ticket to Ho Chi Minh from Sydney for next January and the lady at the travel agents was a little apprehensive on giving me a one way ticket, after a little coaxing finally she put it through but stated i would probably have trouble with immigration.

Now I have read a heap of other posts here and on other sites where no-one has had a problem with this issue, and i would assume with 1000's of people over landing each year throughout SEA that i would have no issue whatsoever, yet im starting to be concerned i will be turned back either at immigration or even before boarding the plane.

Now i have the initial departure booked in for Jan 27th where i will start in HCMC before heaing up North on the Reunification Express stopping at the sites along the way to Hanoi before making my way overland through the Sop Hun / Tay Trang border crossing from Dien Bien Phu to Muang Khua in Northern Laos.

Now i plan on staying less then the 30 days on the original visa which im yet to apply for ( will be leaving this for a few more weeks as its still 80 odd days till i fly out) before moving onto Laos and then through to Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia - Indonesia before a Flight home from Denpasar to Sydney in Late August, early October. I booked this ticket as well with a flexible date change for the 29th august to come back home.

Will this be enough to satisfy immigration i plan on leaving the country? when i post away for my visa i intend on having a detailed itinerary sent with it stating im over landing it but will it be enough? Sorry if im rambling and im probably worrying about nothing but as the date gets closer to departure im stressing a little more about every little detail.

Thanks in advance, Chris
    Sop Hun / Tay Trang

#1 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 15:07

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

You shouldn't have any problems at all. They are definitely not going to sent you back when you arrive in Vietnam because you'll have you're visa ready. If they start complaining to you at the airport in Sydney, just explain them what you're plans are and you'll be fine, they will also see you have your visa ready so they probably won't bother about it.

#2 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 17:03

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Thanks for the advice. its exactly what i thought would be the case.

#3 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 17:43

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Give the airline a ring and check with them. They won't let you board if they think there's a problem because they will be fined if you are turned back.

#4 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 06:14

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I can't see why you should have any problems with immigration, simply because they don't ask anything about your exit plans. I've been coming here since 2007 (about 12 times now) and not once have they enquired. All they ask for is your passport with the Vn visa in it and your arrival flight number now ever since they did away with the arrival card. You have a visa for XX days and must leave at the end of it if not extended. Just because you have a ticket for a particular flight it doesn't mean you'll necessarily be on it e.g when I came to Vietnam in December last year I ended up buying a very cheap return ticket because it was cheaper than buying a single fare. I never used the return portion. And they know where you are anyway when you check-in to hotels etc via the reporting system.
    Thailand is one country where if you are picking up a visa (stamp) on arrival at the airport you do need to have proof of your intended departure (if asked for).
    I see you intend to arrive end of January, I presume you are aware of Tet being on the 3rd February.... a lot shuts down for a few days at least.  

#5 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 08:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand visa and proving onward travel ... By MissBanana on 29 Jan 2013 3 2545 31 Jan 2013
Proof of Onward Travel - 30 Day Visa Exemption ... By Caolan on 27 Apr 2014 13 1393 28 Apr 2014
Thai Visa - booking onward travel within 30-day period ... By gingersmith869 on 13 Jun 2011 4 4122 15 Jun 2011
Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption - Proof Of Onward Travel ... By ljp on 7 Jul 2014 1 883 7 Jul 2014