Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

November bus travel with flooding

• chelsea

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm currently in Saigon and was hoping to travel to Hanoi on an open bus ticket beginning this week, stopping in Dalat, Mui Ne, Nha Trang, Hoi An and Hue. The travel agent said "the water is going down" but then said she was unsure whether the bus would be able to get past Nha Trang. What are your thoughts, folks on the ground? Should I just fly? I'm also considering settling down in Hanoi for a bit, so I could travel in the centre in the new year. I do feel for the folks who rely on tourism for their income though. Advice would be much appreciated. Cheers!

#1 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 16:31

• Advertisement

• owee

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location Canada

Open tour busses are arriving and departing daily. You should have no trouble getting to Nha Trang. You will have to keep an eye on the Hoi An Hue and Quang Ngai areas and try yo plan your traven during less rainy spells.

Owee
    www.owee58.com

#2 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 13:17

• pcoffman

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2010

I am currently in Hoi An (fyi).

We went Saigon-Dalat, which was fine. In Dalat we booked an Easy Rider tour (highly recommended) which drove us to Hoi An (in the rain over 6 days but felt 100% safe on their motorcycle). Talked to the guys here and Hoi An to Hue looks good as does Hue to Hanoi. We have booked through Sinh Tourist, which seems to be a fairly reliable company (they say they hire better drivers, drive slower, and have better buses, but who knows if this is actually true).

#3 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 14:44

• chelsea

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2010

Great! Thanks for responding! Thanks also for the tip about the Easy Riders. I've heard about them but never from someone who has actually done a trip with them.

#4 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 16:19

• pcoffman

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2010

No Problem. I would book Hong or Rocky again without a doubt. They were amazing tour guides. A bit on the expensive side ($75/day) but definitely worth every penny. Here is their contact info and a description, so you can choose:

Hong (hongtour50@yahoo.com)- ~60 year old veteran of the South Viet. Army. Knows tons about history and politics and has some extremely interesting stories of the war and after.

Rocky (ilovevietnamtour@yahoo.com)- ~31 year old. Knows tons about tons of things. I was very impressed by how up-to-date he was with just about everything (world politics, science, etc.). Also, he took us out to karaoke which was loads of fun. Very friendly.

#5 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 19:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.