Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Getting to Da Lat from Hanoi

• sampowers07

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

I will be in Hanoi, and my next destination is Da Lat. I read that I can get a flight for about $100. I'm just trying to make it there as cheap as I can, but also have limited time in the country. I'm not picky about sleeping situations on trains/bus or anything like that. But if those are going to take way too much of my time I'd rather fly. I can't seem to find anything on taking a train to the destination. Anyone have any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 08:19

• Advertisement

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

The train route in Vietnam mostly sticks to the coast, so you'd have to take a bus at least for the last leg to Dalat.

So your choices are taking a train from Hanoi to Nha Trang (about 24 hours, though quite comfortable and scenic in the sleeper cars), and then a 4-hour bus ride to Dalat from there.

Or a series of Open Tour buses along the same route, many of which are in a sleeper configuration, though not nearly as comfortable as the train.

The buses would be a bit cheaper, but not by too much, and probably more of a hassle as well.

Info on the trains is here:
    http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

It'll probably take at least 36 hours altogether for the journey, so a flight might be worth the extra money.

#2 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 09:10

• sampowers07

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

Thank you so much!

#3 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 11:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.