Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Getting to Da Lat from Hanoi

Posted by sampowers07 on 9/11/2010 at 08:19

I will be in Hanoi, and my next destination is Da Lat. I read that I can get a flight for about $100. I'm just trying to make it there as cheap as I can, but also have limited time in the country. I'm not picky about sleeping situations on trains/bus or anything like that. But if those are going to take way too much of my time I'd rather fly. I can't seem to find anything on taking a train to the destination. Anyone have any suggestions?

#1 sampowers07 has been a member since 9/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by rawjer on 9/11/2010 at 09:10

The train route in Vietnam mostly sticks to the coast, so you'd have to take a bus at least for the last leg to Dalat.

So your choices are taking a train from Hanoi to Nha Trang (about 24 hours, though quite comfortable and scenic in the sleeper cars), and then a 4-hour bus ride to Dalat from there.

Or a series of Open Tour buses along the same route, many of which are in a sleeper configuration, though not nearly as comfortable as the train.

The buses would be a bit cheaper, but not by too much, and probably more of a hassle as well.

Info on the trains is here:
http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

It'll probably take at least 36 hours altogether for the journey, so a flight might be worth the extra money.

#2 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by sampowers07 on 9/11/2010 at 11:25

Thank you so much!

#3 sampowers07 has been a member since 9/11/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.