Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

travelling around Dalat

• issac888

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

I will be travelling alone to Dalat soon. However I had not sort out what is the best way to travel around Dalat. Ideally I would prefer walking around but it seems that some of the attraction are quite far apart and out of town.

I'm now considering renting a bicycle and cycle around. Will this be a good options and advisable? I'm more concern about the safety of cycling alone out of town to the waterfalls and leaving the bicycle unattended while i'm visiting the attactions.

Another options I've heard is to travel around with easyrider. Can anyone give me an idea of how much roughly it will cost me for 1 day around Dalat? I'm on a very tight budget for this trip.

#1 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 17:59

• Advertisement

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Dalat is a hill city, and most of those attractions in the area are quite a distance away, down the hill. Unfortunately, riding a bike would not only be exhausting on the uphill parts, but also fairly dangerous as well. The roads in that area are barely big enough for two cars or trucks, and bikes don't seem common, so you'd always be a target.

A motorbike, on the other hand, would be fine, although those out-of-town sights could be hard to find since there are no signs in English, and the roads are a maze in general.

The one-day Easy Rider tours cost about US$20, and they'll take you to all the main sights at a relaxed pace, according to people I spoke to who did it. I took a minibus tour to the same spots for US$15, and it was pretty comfortable and done well. Just go to one of the restaurants with an English-language name and the Easy Riders will soon approach you.

Things like the main market and the Crazy House are walking distance from most of the hotels.

#2 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 19:40

• issac888

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

Thanks rawjer. Thats a great piece of advice.
    However, what's the minibus tour and where could I get more information?

#3 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 21:28

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

I think there's only one minibus tour in Dalat, and you can book it through pretty much any hotel you might be staying at, although the price might be a bit different from one to another. I don't think there is a website for the tour.

I stayed at the excellent Dreams Hotel and when I asked about booking it they told me to go down the block to the Peace Cafe, which seems to be the busiest tour and transport booking spot in town, along with being a major hang out of the Easy Riders. The food at that place is not as good as most of the other Western-friendly places in town, but the location is great, and it seems to be one of the better cheap hotels there.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/vietnam/central_highlands/lam_dong/da_lat/all/3105

#4 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 22:42

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

You can walk around to a lot of sites and then catch a xe om if you get tired.

For places a little further afield, there are a number of people other than the Easy Riders these days who do a good tour, and the Easy Riders vary considerably. I'd talk to anyone you consider as a guide for a while and see how good their english is and whether they offer what you want.

#5 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 17:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.