Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

4 weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos

Posted by adva on 18/11/2010 at 01:41

Hi

I realize there some some questions posted that are similar to mine, but I amstill not managing somehow to apply it all and come out with a completepicture.
My husband and I are looking to travel Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for the firsttime from early December to early January (4 weeks)

The places I have in mind at the moment are:
Hanoi , Halong bay, Hue, hoi an, Nha Trang, Dalat, Can tho, NinhVan Bay, Tam Tao, Sapa, Dien Bien Phu, Ho chi minh (Saigon)
phnom penh, Siem Reap, Battambang,Kep, SihanoukVille
Vientiane, pakse / wat phou, Khong island / bankhone / pakse,Vang Vieng
Luang Prabang

The general plan is to fly into Hanoi and out of Laos, but other than that Ihave no idea how to put this all together, and in what order.
I also realize that I wont be able to do all of this in 4 weeks, and am happyto cut out on some places along the way.
I am open to travel by air, train or bus, whatever is more efficient.

Any suggestions please?

#1 adva has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by adva on 18/11/2010 at 14:17

Hi

Who could as for better than a reply from within Vietnam
Thank you so much! I really do appreciate it

#2 adva has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Indoluso on 18/11/2010 at 21:19

Hi, 4 weeks is a bit rushed for 3 countries, although it is feasable. I would choose northern Laos or Southern, both is really too much... Best is going with the flow, you always find plane deals on the moment if you'd figure you needed to fly.

#3 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by adva on 20/11/2010 at 23:05

Hi

I am struggling to organize transportation from:

Hue to Nha Trang
Nha Trang to Ho Chi Minh
Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
Seap Reap to Hanoi

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place flights seem to be quite expensive.
Can anyone advise what would be the best routes to take?
Can you take a 'private taxi' for any of these routes?

Thanks

#4 adva has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by rawjer on 21/11/2010 at 08:56

Adva,
Ground transportation is a much better idea for most of these stops.

Hue to Nha Trang: Take the train and get a sleeper car. It's cheap, scenic, and comfortable. You can do it overnight or during the day. You should think about stopping in Hoi An between these though, or skipping Hue altogether.

Nha Trang to HCMC: Train

Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh: "VIP" bus

Phnom Penh to Siem Reap: Bus

Siem Reap to Hanoi: Probably best to fly on this one as a bus takes more than 24 hours.

You actually could take a private taxi on any of these segments (except maybe the border-crossing ones), but the cost would end up being similar to the plane tickets since the distances are long and the driver will almost certainly have to drive back alone.

#5 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by adva on 21/11/2010 at 14:01

Hi Rawjer

I am very happy to do buses and trains.
As you say they are generally cheaper and I suppose part of the whole experience.

Thank you so much for the advice

#6 adva has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.