Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to Hue to nha trang??

• jessicaf

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

Hi,

I was wondering what the best way to get from Hanoi to Hue is? and then from Hue to Nha trang? Is this a good order or is there a better way to do this?

we are trying to make our way down to Saigon, to the Mekong delta, then to Angkor Wat.

from the Mekong delta what is the best way to get over to Angkor wat?

we would like to avoid flying if possible, unless the flights are inexpensive.

#1 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 10:59

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Definitely the best order to do it and how you travel depends on your preferences and your budget. You can do both legs by train or bus - the bus is cheaper but in my opinion the train is worth the extra. Mekong to Angkor - as far as I know you have to go via Phnom Penh, so you can go by boat from Chau Doc or I'm sure there's a bus route too.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 15:12

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

I agree with sarah about the train being the best option, even though it costs a bit more than the buses. You could do both sections by night train, and the sleeper cars are similar to European trains in size and comfort, while the long-haul buses are fitted with these coffin-like sleeper seats that even medium-sized people usually complain about.

I did the Hanoi to Hue by night train and quite enjoyed it, then later I did Danang to Nha Trang as an all-day journey, also in a sleeper car, and the scenery and ride were fantastic.

There's a lot of train information here on Travelfish, and even more info on Seat61.

http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

#3 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 15:22

• abc

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010

Internal flights are not expensive.Have a look at Vietnam airlines and Jetstar websites.Best to book in advance.

#4 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 19:35

• LaureneCao

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2010

I think from Hanoi to Hue and from Hue to Nha Trang, you should go by train. It is cheap and safe and the beds are comfortable, too. On the train , you can enjoy many sights along your journey.
    Mekong delta to Angkor , you can go by speed boat to Phnom Penh in about 5h. Arriving to Phnom Penh, you will continue go by boat to Angkor Wat

#5 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 12:00

• JiroIsCount-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

Hello Jessicaf,

You can come to Hue from Hanoi by plane...I have few suggestions below based on my traveling experience.
    01. Fly from Hanoi to Hue...
    02. From Hue fly to Nha Trang
    03. From Nha Trang you can take the "sleeping bus" going to Muine and then Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
    04. And in Saigon theres many tourist agency offering package tours in places you mentioned.

In Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) i suggest you stay along Pham Ngu Lao Street or Bui Vien Street...

Form HCMC you can ride a bus to Angkor Wat...
    Have fun and travel safe...

#6 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 11:10

• vivekanand

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2010

Or you could do what I am doing! Fly into Hanoi .I am doing a motorcycling trip starting 7th of Jan 2011. Hanoi to further up north and come back to Hanoi in a full circle and then ride all the way to HCMC and continue further to the southern tip. This way you dont miss an inch of land in Vietnam and 3 weeks are more than enough!

#7 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.