Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Itinerary advises needed!

• littlenoire

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2010

Hi guys,

My husband and I will be travelling in Vietnam from the Jan,28th to Feb 9th, Can someone take a look at my itinerary please? I am now really concern about travelling during Tet which hasnt been acrossed my mind before i booked the tickets....

28/01 Fri Beijing- Hanoi
    -6pm Arrive in Hanoi
    -Hotel checkin and walk around the city

29/01 Sat Hanoi-Halong Bay(2days and 1 night)
    -Heading to Halong Bay(havent book the Junk yet, still in the process of comparing)

30/1 Sun Halong-Hanoi- Hue
    -transfer back to Hanoi in the afternoon(16:00pm)
    -Walk around
    -Catch the overnight train head to Hue
    (How difficult to get soft sleeper tickets before Tet??)

31/1 Mon Hue(1day)
    - arrive in Hue
    - spend the night

1/2-4/2 Da Nang and Hoi an (3.5days)
    - Beside visiting the popular tourist place, we wanna take some off the beaten track trips though I havent figure out what to do yet
    (Will all the businesses going to be closed???)

4/2 Da Nang to HCMC
    Flight? Train?

5/2-8/02 HCMC (2.5days)
    - popular tourist places
    - Mekong Delta
    Any recommands??

8/2 HCMC-Hanoi
    - 16:00 back to Hanoi

9/2 Hanoi-Beijing
    - morning departure..

#1 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 12:05

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm afraid to say you might have a few problems with travel. I arrived in Hanoi just before Tet this year and my parents came to visit soon after and were doing a similar route to you over the 2 week Tet madness. I booked them tickets from Hanoi to Hue about 2 weeks before they needed to go and couldn't get the train they wanted, but did manage to get a train the same evening. From Danang to Nha Trang I had to get a daytime train on a different day and I couldn't get them anything from Nha Trang to HCMC so they ended up on an overnight bus (no flights available either).

So, I'd suggest definitely looking at booking a flight now to go from Danang to HCMC and have a look on line and see if you can book the train to Hanoi in advance as well - it'll cost you more but give you peace of mind. Otherwise wait until you're here and have a back-up plan e.g. the bus.

Apart from Tet day itself and maybe a day or so either side, most things will be open. Hotels weren't too much of a problem for my parents except in Nha Trang, where a lot of locals go on holiday, but even there they got somewhere on the day. They also booked their Halong Bay trip the day before they wanted to go so no problem there.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 15:10

• littlenoire

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2010

Thanks for your advice travellingsarah.
    When exactly is Tet day? Same day as Chinese new year day?? This year the Chinese new year day is the 3rd of February...

How early in advance can I book the train ticket? is it possible to buy the train ticket from Hanoi to Hue right now?

#3 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 15:50

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Yes, I believe it's 3rd Feb next year. I don't know how early you can buy the train ticket I'm afraid - the earliest I've been able to buy one at the train station is just under 3 weeks in advance, but I don't know how far in advance you can book through an agency. Have a look at livitrains.com for details of the privately owned carriages - you might be able to book them now.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 16:50

• JiroIsCount-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

Seems you will have a problem and slight difficulty with your sched.

Tet will be from Feb 1 to Feb 8....But in most case, local people from cities come back to their hometown as early as last week of January and return as late as 2nd week of Feb....

Cities will be deserted... Bus fares will be tripled compare to regular fares.

Hotels are expensive..Most restaurants are close ....roads are clear as desert.

It is difficult to get ticket to a bus or plane...so you must consider early bookings..When i say early,, early as now.....Tickets on this dates sell like pancakes due to the Tet Holiday...

You might want to reconsider your sched.or extend your stay in China (Beijing) to see more dragon dance or have an alternative trip to Thailand...

Though you find it frustrating,,,i hope the above helps you and inform you a bit

#5 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 13:54

• duong

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2010

I also beleive that your program's quite clear and detail in each day. However, as your travel time drop into our New Year Festival thus you will need to book the services for your vacation as soon as possible.

Beside that, for the transfer Hanoi - Hue on 30Jan, I am afraid that it is quite difficult to book the night train ticket cause it very close to our New Year festival thus you will need to check the available soon.

And for your transfer Danang - Saigon: I suggest that you should take the flight if you would like to spend more time in the Southern part of Vietnam.

#6 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 16:20

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

There's a similar thread it might be worth you looking at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/12783_vietnam-over-tet
    -

#7 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 19:23

• jackdsilva12

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

Hi Littlenoire, your Vietnam traveling structure is very nice...Good Luck for your great & beautiful journey.

#8 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 15:05

• siu_siu

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2011

Hi littlenoire,
    I am planning a very similar itinerary like yours but will take flight insteaddue to time constraints, would be great if you can share your experience when you come back from your trip.

My Plan:
    08/03 -Arrive in HCM City @ night time , check-in hotel & sleep
    09/03 – HCM Cityto Hanoi (early flight)
    - Walk aroundHanoi, join tour to Halong Bay (still deciding if I’ll go for 1 day or 2days 1night tour)
    10/03 –Halong Bay Tour
    11/03 –Halong Bay Tour – back to Hanoi
    12/12/03 –Hanoi to DaNang (Early flight)
    - DaNang to Hoi An (bus)
    - Walk aroundHoi An in the arvo/night
    13/03 –Touring My Son in the morning
    - Walk aroundHoi An in the arvo/night
    14/03 – HoiAn to Hue (Bus)
    15/03 – Hueto HCM City (morning /Evening flight)
    16/03 –18/03 HCM City , Vung Tau
    Depart on 18/03 night

Hi All,
    Would appreciate some advice on my literary:
    1) I’ve planned the flight from HCM City to Hanoi initially because I would like to go to Ha Long Bay. However, after reading all the feedback on the bad experiences of the tours people have joined and how polluted the bay has become (litter everywhere), I am not sure anymore if it’s worth flight to go to Hanoi or I should just concentrate travelling the south and middle part of Vietnam.

2) On12/03, I found flight from Hanoi to Hue are very pricey (around 100 USD), I have changed to the DaNang airport instead and go directly to Hoi An and tour backup to Hue. Does it sound feasible? Actually, does anyone if there is any tour(or how) we can depart from Hoi An to My Son, and when finished touring My Son,will go and drop off directly to Hue ?

3) If I take bus from Hoi An to Hue early in the morning, would I be able to finish tour around the major sightseeing points in Hue within 1 day? Would it be too rush, what would you recommend?

Thanks a lot

#9 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 20:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.