Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

So...Im going to Vietnam!

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

My first taste of Asia since a big trip last year...its only going to be 2-3 weeks but I'm excited.

A few questions:

We are going mid-late January until early Feburary. I'm aware that Tet occurs in early Feburary..I'm fully aware this might impact on our plans a bit but is travelling around still feasible during this time?

Secondly, assuming the shorter period of 2 weeks, we hope to be able to travel the length of the country hopefully, stopping off in several places. We will be flying into HCMC and probably flying out of there too. I was thinking we could bus it up north, and then fly back from Hanoi to HCMC to save time at the end. Also at the start it is likely we will go to Cat Tien national park for a few days, to visit my girlfriends brother who is working there.

Is this do-able in a few weeks? I would like to visit Hanoi but of course the main reason I want to go up north is Halong Bay...it feels like it would be a waste of time visiting Vietnam if I can't go there.

#1 Posted: 24/11/2010 - 19:48

• Advertisement

• owee

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location Canada

Posted from within Vietnam.

It is quite doable if you fly between destinations. During Tet I would suggest being in either Nha Trang or Saigon because there are very large expat areas that will have services open. Travel will still be available, but at inflated prices. Be sure to have flights booked before you go. Getting around can be difficult during Tet.

You might want to do Halong and Hanoi for 4 Days, then to Hoi An/Danang/Hue for 5. After that head to Nha trang for 4 or 5 days before ending in Saigon for the remainder of your trip.

Owee
    www.owee58.com

#2 Posted: 24/11/2010 - 23:31

• NoPlaceToBe

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2010

I would recommend visiting Dalat there is so much to do up there and we loved it! Nice and different to the rest of the main tourist cities. Less time in Nha Trang and more in Hoi An and Dalat would be my advice!

#3 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 13:22

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have to disagree! 2 weeks is much too short a time to see all of Vietnam - I advise you to select one region, and cover it well. I prefer the north myself, as I'm writing this from my Hanoi hotel room. I feel that Saigon has the least to offer the tourist.

#4 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 17:05

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

Yeah, as I've done more planning I've started to realise that...
    I always do this when I have limited time, excitedly try to plan to see everything then realise I have no chance. I never learn :)

I think we may have to miss the North out this time, since we have now booked to fly into Saigon - we sort of had to do that as my girlfriend has family there she wants to see.
    Also, January/Febuary looks like it probably isnt the best time to visit Halong Bay.

So perhaps we will just stick to the South/Central areas.

owee - thanks for the advice about Tet. We are actually going to be in Vietnam till the 7th Feb, so following your advice we may try and spend time in Saigon at the end rather than the start of our trip, as we can travel around more easily the first week (we get in on the 25th Jan after a day in Bangkok)

#5 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 17:53

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Of any of the regions, the north would be the one I'd cut out first...  HCMC, the national park, Nha Trang, maybe Da Lat, Hoi An, Hue... That's still a great trip!  Ha Long Bay is beautiful, no doubt, but from my experience it wasn't even close to the most enjoyable aspect of my time in Vietnam - save it for next time and don't sweat it.

#6 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 03:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.