Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

One way ticket arriving into Vietnam

• clair369

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

Hi All,
    Im sure this question has been asked many times before however, I'm wondering if any one has recent experience or information they could share. I am arriving into Vietnam in early Feb 2011 on a one way ticket. I will have a bit of a look around Ho Chi Min and then head on to Siem Reap, Laos and Thailand, for an extended stay.

I have travelled extensively in the region before however i have never arrived on a one way ticket or into Vietnam. As I plan to travel overland out of Vietnam I will not have proof of onward travel. Does any one have suggestions as to what i could do or show in the event of being asked for proof of onward travel in the event that i was unlucky enough to be asked.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 08:48

• Advertisement

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've been coming in and out of Vietnam since 2007 (about 12 times now) and not once have I been asked about or asked for proof of my onward means of travel. Your visa says how long you can legally stay. And if you did have any booked tickets who's to say you would be using it anyway. 
    You don't even fill in the white arrival card anymore. All the immigration control people ask for is your passport (with the Vietnam visa already in it) and the flight number that you arrived on. Their system keeps track of you as you check in and check out of hotels etc. Indeed you'll find the validity of the visa is something hotels do look at

#2 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 11:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok to Chiang Mai night train from DMK upon arrival. How can I get a ticket before arriving? ... By Arikara1985 on 13 Jul 2014 3 520 16 Jul 2014