Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

currency exchange

Posted by lexluther on 7/12/2010 at 04:33

Hi all,
from reading throughb books and forums i gather the best place to change money is in the gold shops. Does anyone know what they are offering for usd, aud, euro and british sterling at the moment?
Cheers.

#1 lexluther has been a member since 7/12/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by Archmichael on 7/12/2010 at 07:33

No, but here's what the official rates are: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

You have to scroll down to find Dong, etc.

#2 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 7/12/2010 at 08:55

Posted from within Vietnam.

As the last poster says,use a currency converter such as Yahoo to find the bank exchange rate,However,over the last couple of weeks,the unofficial exchange rate has risen markedly.As of yesterday,the gold shops here were offering 21,300 VND /1 USD,which is very different to the official bank rate of c 19,450 VND/ 1USD.I believe in Saigon/Hanoi the rate might be even slightly better,c 21,600.That is a huge difference,and I believe it is due to a lack of USD,a high inflation rate here in Vietnam, and a lack of confidence in the VND. The Vietnamese banks are trying to adjust the situation,however I wouldn't use a bank at this time,but definitely a gold shop.

#3 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 112
 Website 

Posted by Triguy on 9/7/2013 at 08:48

Hi all, I have a question regarding currency exchange in Thailand. My family and I will be traveling soon to BKK and need to change some money in the airport for a taxi, Should I wait to change more at other places in town or change a considerable amount at the airport? Are there other places in town that have better rates?

#4 Triguy has been a member since 10/3/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.