Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

currency exchange

• lexluther

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010

Hi all,
    from reading throughb books and forums i gather the best place to change money is in the gold shops. Does anyone know what they are offering for usd, aud, euro and british sterling at the moment?
    Cheers.

#1 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 04:33

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

No, but here's what the official rates are: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

You have to scroll down to find Dong, etc.

#2 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 07:33

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

As the last poster says,use a currency converter such as Yahoo to find the bank exchange rate,However,over the last couple of weeks,the unofficial exchange rate has risen markedly.As of yesterday,the gold shops here were offering 21,300 VND /1 USD,which is very different to the official bank rate of c 19,450 VND/ 1USD.I believe in Saigon/Hanoi the rate might be even slightly better,c 21,600.That is a huge difference,and I believe it is due to a lack of USD,a high inflation rate here in Vietnam, and a lack of confidence in the VND. The Vietnamese banks are trying to adjust the situation,however I wouldn't use a bank at this time,but definitely a gold shop.

#3 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 08:55

• Triguy

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2013

Hi all, I have a question regarding currency exchange in Thailand. My family and I will be traveling soon to BKK and need to change some money in the airport for a taxi, Should I wait to change more at other places in town or change a considerable amount at the airport? Are there other places in town that have better rates?

#4 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 08:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
currency exchange? ... By ziplok on 13 Jan 2010 7 2500 20 May 2010
Tip for currency exchange in Koh Samui ... By brijesh_82 on 25 May 2011 0 2396 25 May 2011
Best place to exchange currency in Bangkok ... By amigo on 26 Mar 2009 2 8842 29 Mar 2009