Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

4 wks left in SEA...Vietnam or Laos/Camb?

• theotherval-
    etguy

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

4 wks left in SEA...Should I spend them in Vietnam or Laos/Camb?

#1 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 11:34

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Vietnam.

#2 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 13:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Nooo, changed my mind. Laos/Cambodia.

#3 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 13:41

• theotherval-
    etguy

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

That's what I'm thinking.This is my first time going and I probably won't go back for a long time. Should I cut Vietnam out entirely and send more time in Laos/Cam, or are there a few places in Vietnam that I "have" to see...?

#4 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 15:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Thailand

#5 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 02:03

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i agree with the others above, but golly gee it really does depend too.

where have you been already? are you flying back home out of bangkok or somewhere else? what kinds of things do you like to do? how much money do you have left? is visiting angkor wat or luang prabang a big deal for you? are you looking for some quality beach time? what is your current visa situation? stuff like that.

i don't think you can go wrong either way. where are you now? cheers.

#6 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 03:15

• theotherval-
    etguy

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

exacto

I actually haven't left yet but my itinerary leaves my like a week to either spend in Vietnam or more time in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia. We will be flying back home from Bangkok. I'd like to see culture/museums but also like to party. Also I like adventure-like trekks or tours. Money isn't really an issue. I definatley want to see Angkor and Luang Prabang. I also want to spend time on the Thai islands (samui, pha ngang, tao).

#7 Posted: 15/12/2010 - 01:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Your last post is contradicting your first post. That's why it would be helpful to get the full picture of what you are trying to achieve.

I would suggest that there is no point in going to Vietnam for a week. It sounds like you are already having fleeting visits to the other 3 countries - I think you would be best to use that week to spend more time in those places. Otherwise, a week per country is bugger all (which is what I'm assuming when trying to put together the full picture from your posts).

#8 Posted: 15/12/2010 - 02:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Thailand is the place to party. That seems to be the general consensus here on Travelfish. It's probably also the place to dive, all things being equal. Hiking? Laos seems the most interesting to me... but I can't really say. Perhaps some other have some better insight here. Liz really hits the nail on the head. How much time in total are we talking here?

#9 Posted: 15/12/2010 - 12:04

• theotherval-
    etguy

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

I'm going for 60 days. My priorities are: Bangkok, Pattaya, Samui, Pha Ngang, Tao, Chiang Mai, boating from Huay Xia (Laos) to Luang Prabang, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. I'm not leaving until early next year. I have planned out a rough itinerary so I was saying I had a few weeks left to spare according to my plans. Sorry for the confusion. Any more advice would help. Thanks

#10 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 02:03

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, based on that, and the fact you have a rough plan already, I would leave it at that and make any other adjustments on the fly. You can always pop back up here on travelfish and revisit the theme if you are getting ready to leave Chiang Mai and have 5 weeks to go... but you may well end up staying in some places a while because you're having a good time wherever you happen to be... You got a good initial plan that might end up being the whole plan.

#11 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 02:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 months in SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Camb & Laos) - arrive & depart from Bangkok ... By AndyPandy on 8 Aug 2012 7 2552 27 Sep 2012
Laos - time left on passport ... By jack_sam on 1 Dec 2007 2 2280 1 Dec 2007