Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi

• keef82

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2010

I will be travelling around SE Asia for 6 weeks in the New Year comprising of Thailand, Cambodia Vietnam & Laos. I would like to travel up the Vietnamese coast from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi. I'm pretty sure I would like to go to Ha Long Bay but other than that it's pretty open.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated e.g.:
    - How long should I factor for this section of the trip?
    - Is it best to spend most of my time in the cities or spread it out travelling between the 2?
    - Are there any areas I should definitely check out?

Many Thanks
    Keith

#1 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 23:30

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What are your likes and dislikes? That's a good place to start - because everyone has different interests. Saigon is huge, so there's plenty to do there. Hanoi isn't exactly small, lots to do there. Some of the cities in between are historic and interesting. Then there's the rural life. But all fo this starts with your interests. What I might think is great, you might think sucks.

#2 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 01:58

• Chamone27

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

Keef82. I did this journey, starting in November, last year. I loved it so much, I turned round, and did it again, back, to back!!!! Skype me on Australia 0451 977 531, and I will give you ALL the info you need. There's just too much or me to type on here!!!

#3 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 16:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Hanoi is an old city and more interesting than Ho Chi Minh City."

This is a mistake. Better to say "I found Hanoi, an old, historic city, to be more interesting than Saigon."

Different people have different interests. Saigon is a lot bigger and more cosmopolitan. That's the reason I told the OP that you have to start with your interests. Because until those are spelled out, it's impossible to give an intelligent recommendation on anything.

#4 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 17:18

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just be aware that Tet (Vietnamese New Year) is 3rd February. Plan accordingly if coming at that time (week before and the week after). Transportation costs go up, if you can get it. Prices generally increase anything up to 30% above normal.  

#5 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 17:41

• JiroIsCount-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

69Bertie is correct ! Prices here go up to 30% above usual price...

Bus fares in particular...(HCMC to Nha Trang, Dalat, Muine..etc. ) even hotel rates....

Example...Normal Bus Fare from Saigon to Nha Trang is VND150,000 and during Tet Holiday it will go up to VND 350,000.... lol

Thats why expats go out of country during Tet Holiday or stay home...

Tet for this year will be from Feb.1 to Feb. 8

#6 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 08:33

• keef82

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2010

Cheers guys for all the good advice

MADMAC dont be such a pedant

#7 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 04:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Interesting you would use the word as a noun (Pedant). Have never heard it in that context before.

But actually I do think it's important to differentiate that here, because a lot of people make the assumption that their interests will be my interests, which is seldom the case. That's why such phrases as "give it a miss" or "make sure you visit" are not very useful. Of course one could assume that it necessarily is from the writers perspective, but nevertheless, phrases like that, in my opinion, are conveying something they should not. If you took the post I just commented on at face value, you might miss what is potentially a great place for you to visit.

#8 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 10:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.