Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Ha Giang tour advice please?

• hypersigil

Click here to learn more about hypersigil
    Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2010
    Location Canada

I am going to be in the North of Vietnam with my brother at the beginning of March. We are looking to visit Ha Giang and the area north of there. I read the NYT article on the region and have seen other travellers' reports and it seems like a really beautiful place, and I am a beautychaser.

Anyway, it's hard to find info on good tours of the area. My understanding is that:
    1. We need a permit to visit this area.
    2. There is no proper public transportation in the area.

Therefore, we prefer to do some sort of tour of 3-5 days. We'd be starting either in Hanoi or Sapa, so the tour could start there or we could get to Ha Giang and start there. We are NOT looking for anything too luxurious. Simple, clean places are great. We do want an English guide.

The NYT article and some other places mentioned "Mr. Anh's Karst Plateau" travel. I have emailed them and got a brief reply promising more information, but two weeks have gone by and nothing, and they aren't responding to emails, so I guess they don't need any more business.

Please, anyone with suggestions on how we can go about this? And any other travellers who would like to join us to possibly make such a tour cheaper, let me know.

#1 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 01:34

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It is a beautiful region but it may be a bit less beautiful in March due to winter. Still beautiful though with dramatic scenery and colorful market in Ha Giang on saturday.

Good thing that you're not looking for something luxurious because you won't find anything like that there.

It would be best if you are able to ride motorbike. A few travel agents organize bike tours to that area and that is because the roads are not in great condition in some parts where they are washed away and reduced to single track. March should be alright though.

Did my trip with a friend who speaks vietnamese so can not help you with a name of a travel company.

#2 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 08:46

• vietnamexot-
    ictours

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

You can start the trip by a private car with English speaking guide from Hanoi and end your visit in Sapa where you can stay for few days before catching the night train back to Hanoi.

The outline might be:

Day 1: Hanoi/Ha Giang/Hoang Su Phi
    Day 2: Hoang Su Phi/Meo Vac
    Day 3: Meo Vac/Ha Giang
    Day 4: Ha Giang /Sapa.

Please note: the accommodation in the area is very basic, the room is cheap (US$25/night) but very good scenery.

Have a nice trip!

#3 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 16:18

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

$ 25/night? I stayed at places where they charged $6-8 and there wasn't anything more fancy around (i desperately searched but couldn't find anything). That means $15+ for the tour company.
    Who are you trying to help?

#4 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 18:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.