Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

overland from Hanoi to Chiang Mai?

• barbaral

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2010

I am travelling to Vietnam, arriving in Hanoi , and need to be in Chiang Mai Thailand two and one half weeks later. I am curious about the least expensive, most interesting route to travel there and some ideas of costs and timeframes.
    If there some ideas of not to miss areas, .best routes, etc, I would certainly appreciate it. This is my first time in SE Asia. I will be arriving the middle of January, going to an orientation in Chiang Mai 25 days later and then working in an NGO in Phnom Penh after that.

Any ideas or help would be wonderful. I understand that overland from Hanoi to Laos is miserable and that trains from there (Vientiane) are a better option. Should we bite the bullet and fly to Laos or is the adventure and price savings an ok idea for 60 year old adventurers?

#1 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 12:38

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I haven't traveled the entire length of that passage but the local bus wasn't the most comfortable 16 hours I spent on my vacation. You see some great places and pretty scenery, but it isn't something you have to do.

I'm not sure what you'll be doing in/around Hanoi, but you could always hit up Halong Bay or Sapa which would easily take up a week of your time.

That would make it a good bet to fly to Vientiane. Take a couple days there and then you can work your way north and take something like 10 days to go up through Luang Prabang (3 days) to Luang nam Tha (3 days) on the way to the border crossing at Huay Xai.

You could get into Thailand with at least 5 days still to get over to Chiang Mai.

I know I'm actually using very fuzzy addition here - but I think that path is an option. 1 week around Hanoi, a little over 1 1/2 Laos, a little less than 1 week through northern Thailand.

#2 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 13:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Mai to HaNoi, overland via Laos ... By brucemoon on 13 May 2009 1 8253 24 Jun 2009