Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

saigon to hanoi by land

• cocoku

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010

hello
    anyone has ever taken a land transport from saigon to hanoi?
    which is the fastest way and how long it takes?
    i am planning to spend 10 days in vietnam starts in saigon and i want to use land transport for the whole trip, tight budget =)
    thanks
    =)

#1 Posted: 18/12/2010 - 22:21

• Advertisement

• sems

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2010

You have a couple of options, even though you are on a tight budget if you are booking early you should check out Vietnam airlines as their flights can be just as cheap as the bus or train, and a lot quicker. Other than that you would be looking at the Reunification Express train service, which is very cheap (e.g Hue to Danang 3hrs about $3 AUD for a soft seat with air con) they also have sleeper options for overnight or longer trips. The trains have regular services and run pretty well on time. They also have a schedule on line to check services and prices. There is also a sleeper bus which runs the length of the country and seemed fairly cheap and you can book at any backpackers or travel agent (of which there are heaps). There is also an open bus that you can get on and off across the country. Having returned from Vietnam not long ago I can tell you that even though its a small country it does take a fair whack of time to get anywhere, so with only 10 days you want to chuck a flight or 2 in for the longer trips or you may find that you don't see much more of the country than the inside of a bus or train. With a bit of planning and using a combo of services you should be able to get from one end to the other within your budget, and save on accommodation by sleeping on the bus or train. I will tell you to have your map, travel book or a pen and paper with you at all times, as many who don't speak or understand English can read it. Travel safe :)

#2 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 04:58

• cocoku

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010

yea, i found out that it takes a while to explore the country from south to north. i think i might just spend some days around saigon and get a bus ride to cambodia.
    anyway, thanks sem =)

#3 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 10:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Land travel tips pleeeeease: Saigon to Hanoi ... By oranjelamb on 12 Aug 2007 10 6680 13 Jun 2011