Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Accommodation

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Hi all,

Hope everyone has had a great xmas... anyways im after some advice for accommodation in Ho Chi Minh for next week. i'll be flying into Vietnam on the 4th Jan to start my 12th month tour of South East Asia ... getting excited its so close... And i havent booked any accommodation yet, now i know that Pham Ngu Lao is the backpacker district and where much of the cheap hotels ect are located.

I have a few places in mind that i am leaning towards booking for the first 1-2 nights... my post is asking for any advice from recent travelers who have stayed in the area on any good places and any warnings for the area.

Any advice appreciated

#1 Posted: 28/12/2010 - 15:53

• Advertisement

• JiroIsCount-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello there Chris Jenko,

Good to hear you will visit HCMC (Saigon City).
    Pham Ngu Lao is a street at District 1...Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Street and De Tham Street are streets in District 1 which we considered backpackers area... Those streets are all connected to each other, Pham Ngu Lao and Bui Vien is parallel to each other....I used to stay in Pham Ngu Lao for years ,but now i moved to another..
    There are many mini hotels, hostel, guest house (or whatever you wish to call those places) in this areas....You dont need to get early bookings... You can just ask a taxi in the airport to bring you to that area, and you can have a walk and choose a decent place to stay in.....You can stroll and scout those streets, anyways all are just short streets....
    Room rates varies (from USD 7-25 per night)

take care of your DSLR and bags...exchange your foreign currency along de tham or banks not at the hotels (they give you much lower rates)..theres one near caravelle hotel (but thats a bit far from Pham Ngu Lao).....

Hope the above helps
    Have fun and be safe...

#2 Posted: 29/12/2010 - 08:21

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

You don't need to take a taxi (an less you want too) as a bus runs into the backpacker area directly from the airport. Just ask at the airport. Once in Pham Ngu Lao walk up the little alleys there are many cheap and quiet(!) places as traffic cant get up the alleys, save a few bikes.

Other things, as stated in all the guide books - watch out for drive by thieves. Don't wear gold jewelery, especially necklaces and watch bags & cameras.

#3 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 03:09

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I always stay at the wonderful Bich Duyen Hotel, but there's also the Blue River Hotel next door - both get great reviews and the price is great. I paid $27. at the Bich for a better room (rates start about $18.).

contact the Bich manager, Chanh, at this address: bichduyenhotel@yahoo.com

#4 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 02:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.