Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Bring USD or any currency to Vietnam??

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

I brought some USD, but there are ATMs there, so I just did a withdrawal and kept some USD as a backup. Most seemed to allow a max of 2million dong per, which was what I did since they also seemed to charge anywhere from 20,000-30,000 fees. There is a whole section on money here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/103

How much in 2 weeks I think depends on what you plan to do - budget you could easily stay 10/night in hotels and a few dollars for food. On the other end you could spend 60/night on hotels and eat at nice restaurants (I assume you would be somewhere in the middle?).

#1 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 15:42

• Advertisement

• JiroIsCount-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Depends on what currency you have other than USD.

Foreign Currencies which can be exchange in Saigon are the following:

-USD
    -Canadian Dollar
    -Australian Dollar
    -Euro
    -British Pound
    -Hong Kong Dollar
    -Japanese Yen
    -Thai Baht
    -Singa Dollar
    -Swiss France

I exchange money in a bank...you can try some local money exchange (there is one reputable money exchange near along dong khoi street, dist.1 Saigon City - near Caravelle Hotel...)

Dont exchange your money in a hotel, they will give lower rates.....

yup! you can use ATMS, if you have cirrus, visa electron, visa and all those things.....(just a reminder on using ATMS....-the problem with using ATMS in Vietnam is that when your card got eaten by the machine during after office hours....if will be very inconvenient for you)

For the budget ,it really depends if you plan to hop from city to city or just stay in one city or two city....
    In general, almost everything is cheap in Vietnam .. .

Accomodation - from USD 7 to 15 and from 15 to 35 and from 50 to 150 per night (depends on the hotel you pick)

Transportation - taxi ( legit ones and not the pirates) around USD 1 for first two kilometers....

Food - few choices of western named fastfood..restaurants around USD 7 to 15 per meal (average)

You can visit any travel agency in either Hanoi and Saigon for fees regarding package tours....it is not much expensive...around USD 10- 25 ( depends on the location and package)....
    Places you can visit in Vietnam :
    - SAPA
    -Halong Bay
    -Hanoi
    -Ho Chi Minh City

-Muine and Nha Trang

- Dalat

Have a little research from Google to get familirize with places of interest in Vietnam...and when you have your choices you will be ready to speak to a travel agent in Vietnam when you arrived here...

Hope the above helps...if you need further info, let me know..

Have fun, be safe and best wishes!

#2 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 17:19

• abc

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010

Aussie dollar very strong now.Highest for years.No need to change your money into $ if you have the above currencies.Cash is best to get good rates and save on bank fees.

#3 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 20:39

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

If JiroIsCounting reputable money changer is the one I think it is, be careful if using a card to get currency. I don't know if they do the same now (this was about 18months ago) or when you change cash. But to get Dongs, from my UK account) they went GBP to USD and then to Dongs. Two currency hits. I haven't used them since.

In the backpackers area of District 1 HCMC, there are lots of currency exchange places with their exchange rates for the various currencies clearly visible outside. Just walk up and down to choose. A fair number better the exchange rates from the banks. Even so, the best place to change USD has to be the gold shops. Most are offering about 21000 at the moment (even the backpackers shops are over 20200vnd for 1$ USD), you'll probably only get 19500 (the official rate) from the banks.

I am though, a little confused pimlfo.... you're asking how much you should bring to Vietnam and yet you're shown as posting from within Vietnam?????   

#4 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 22:37

• joeaddison79

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2011

Dollars are universal.

Also, if anyone is going to Vietnam I would like to exchange dong for U.S. dollar. I have lots of Dong, I want to convert it into Dollars. If I go through a bank they will give me a lousy rate. I have spent the last year living in Vietnam and recently returned to Michigan.

If anyone is interested in trading Dollar for Dong at the CORRECT exchange rate, email me at:
    joeaddison79@gmail.com

#5 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 01:52

• jackdsilva12

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

I am agree with "Joeaddison79" reply, i think he can solve this problems.

#6 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 15:09

• kptn82

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Agree

Currently you woudln't worry about exchanging either USD or AUD coz they're both strong

Although I agree with the above posts, DO NOT GO TO THE BANK!

I usually go to gold dealers, jewellers they all give better rates

#7 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 07:58

• laquanglam

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Im a vietnamese, in my experience about exchange money in our country, i have some idea hope you will find it helpful for yourself,
    1. now 1usd = 19,500 dong, but it just on the theory, I mean our central bank limit the exchange rate between dong vs USD for some reason ex: inflation, export.... but in the market ( bank, exchange shop, gold shop... ) they apply the rate arround 1usd = 21,000 dong. so dont worry the bank will not give you the low rate. and if you exchange your USD in hotel ofcourse they will give you the rate as lowest as possible ( it happens around the world if you dont know how exactly the local currency exchange rate is ).
    and if you travel around ho chi minh city or other places you can spent usd in your need ( but you have accept the low rate ex : if the taxi fee is 100,000 dong you will pay 5usd equipvalent to the rate 1usd = 20,000 dong, but some time the fee is 110,000 dong you will pay 6 usd equipvalent to the rate 1 usd = 18,300 dong and the drive "may be" give refund to you ).
    thanks

#8 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 13:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.