Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

taxi from HCMC airport

• jwgacy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Hi I've been looking for a price guideline for taxis from HCMC airport and district 1 I've booked a room online and they say they will pick me up for $15 can anyone suggest anything better JW

#1 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 18:08

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

The taxi situation at HCMC airport is a bit chaotic. If you get a reputable metered taxi (like Mi Linh), it shouldn't be more than 70,000 dong as I recall. However, getting a reputable taxi can be a challenge. There are tons of scammers with cars looking to take advantage of tourists fresh off the plane who are just entering Vietnam and might not be well enough acquainted with the currency exchange rate. Often times these scammers have cars that appear to be a reputable taxi service. To be honest, even though the $15 might be slightly higher than if you find a metered cab, I'd consider taking that... The extra dollar or two would be made up by having someone there waiting for you so that you don't have to avoid and/or haggle with the taxi drivers. Otherwise, just be careful who's car you get in to, and always negotiate the price first (make sure it's very, very clear, 60 can become 600 before you can say "chao").

#2 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 07:07

• JiroIsCount-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear JW,

Taxi fare from Tan SOn Nhat AIrport to District 1 will cost you around USD10 only...Ofcourse it depends where in Dist. 1 you are.....

Its reasonable to pay around VND150,000 to VND200,000 ......You need to pay the toll fee...That price includes toll fee already....

I suggest you pick a legit taxi like Mai Linh and Vinasun only......Dont ride those pirate taxis...They will rip you off...sure...

Good Luck and travel safe

#3 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 08:16

• jwgacy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2008

Thank you for the info I think it might be better if I just take the hotels offer at least they know where there going I know it's lazy but hey we're on holiday JW

#4 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 19:06

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

The taxi fare from the airport and district 1, if using a metered cab (Mai Linh or Vinasun), isn't more than 120k dong ($6USD) if it is a normal journey. Most I've paid coming from the backpackers area (Bui Vien) was 105k. Any more than 130k and I would seriously question where you have been taken for a ride. The exit toll from the airport is payable by the driver of the cab (currently 5000 dong = 25cents) not by the passengers in the cab. It is included in the fare and I have never ever been asked for the money to pay it.
    One thing I would strongly suggest is having your destination written down. Vietnamese taxi drivers English skills sometimes leave a lot to be desired. Also, try and look at your hotel's address on a map so you have some idea of where you should be heading. And when you do get to it make sure it is your hotel and not the taxi driver's current favourite.

#5 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 00:52

• JiroIsCount-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

That is a great decision, JW....I believe it is better to accept the offer of the hotel to pick you up at the airport to avoid hassles..Though USD15 is not cheap and a lil higher I guess it is a good package for a first timer to accept and choose...

Just some few additional suggestions...

-Make sure they know your ETA and flight no. and carrier.
    -Make sure you have the phone number of the hotel and name of hotel employee who can speak english just incase you arrived at the airport lobby and you dont see your names on those group of people waiting at the lobby outside...
    -Make sure you know how to dial the numbers..Most land line (desk fone ) numbers now must add the number "3" before the phone numbers...and additional prefix....
    -Make sure you have the exact address and name of the hotel, just incase your chosen option failed - you can go by yourself and ride (Mai Ling or VINAsun taxis) - though we hope this wont happen -but i heard many cases that hotel pick ups failed...

Travel Safe and Enjoy your Trip

#6 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 08:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HCMC Airport Taxi's Nightmare part 2 ... By travworld on 12 Jul 2009 6 3004 30 Aug 2009