Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi Joy Hotel or Hong Ngoc 2?

• destroyinga-
    ngel

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2011

We will be arriving in Hanoi at the end of March for our first trip to SEA from the US. We will be staying for 4 weeks and will be doing the usual trekking, etc., plus popping out to Luang Prabang for the New Year and elephants.

I would like our first few nights to be fairly stress-free as we get through our jet lag and culture shock. I've reviewed hotel recommendations that I've found online, and I'm trying to decide between Hotel Joy, where we are promised a deluxe triple with balcony for $30 per night, or the Hong Ngoc 2, where we can get a suite for $68 per night.

Lonely Planet loves Hotel Joy, but a small handful of people on Trip Advisor relate bad experiences, whereas everyone on TA seems to have had a good experience at Hong Ngoc 2 (the 2 specifically; not looking at the other Hong Ngocs).

Can anyone help us decide between the two? I would prefer not to receive various recommendations for other hotels, as there are too many to choose from and I'm hoping to keep this simple.

Thanks in adavance!

#1 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 23:41

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The listings here at Travelfish are considerably more reliable than either Lonely Planet or TA in my opinion. I know neither of those hotels, but I did enjoy a few drinks directly across the street from the Joy at the wonderful DAB Cafe on Bat Su. I stayed (Dec 2010) at a brand new and wonderful place on Hang Dieu - the Hanoi Art Hotel (pretty damn nice too).

#2 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 06:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hong Ngoc hotels Systerm ... By christdo on 9 Oct 2008 0 1633 9 Oct 2008
NGOC HONG TRAVEL IN SAIGON - WARNING ... By paulsupermario on 9 Feb 2010 0 2292 9 Feb 2010
HOANG NGOC 2 HOTEL ... By hoangngochotel on 15 Mar 2012 0 1093 15 Mar 2012
My Ngoc Hotel Restaurant pretty good and very affordable ... By karelv on 10 Jan 2007 0 2954 10 Jan 2007
Bao Ngoc Hotel (Saigon, Vietnam) - Grand Opening ... By dongquan on 16 May 2012 0 1581 16 May 2012
Recommendation for adding Hong Ky Hotel&Cafe Restaurant on your hotel list ... By nguyenquoctedb on 6 Jun 2008 0 2616 6 Jun 2008