Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi & Sapa

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Hi,

will be visiting Hanoi on the 20/02/2011 and Sapa on 22/02/2011. I had research that the weather for the particular time is cooling in Hanoi, range between 8oC - 18oC. But how about Sapa. I try to keep my luggage light visiting Sapa, that is why I will just bring a light jacket with my. But I was told that in late FEB, the weather in Sapa is extremely Cold! It's around 2oC in the night and 8o C in the day. anyone can clarify? Thank you very much!!!

#1 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 02:02

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think you've mixed up Fahrenheit (F) with Celsius (C) temperatures, for starters.

Sapa: Min and Max temps in Feb are 8-24C (46-75F); http://www.vietnamweather.co.uk/sapa

Hanoi : Min and Max temps in Feb are 8-28C (46-82F): http://www.vietnamweather.co.uk/hanoi

I haven't been to Sapa, but was in Hanoi in early December and only ever needed a T-Shirt, a very light merino top in the evening on the boat in Halong Bay. If you bring layers (Tshirt, merino or polyprop top and a jacke)t, I'm sure that would be more than adequate.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 02:38

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

No one can really accurately predict the weather - it's all a big guess. I think your best bet is to just bring a medium weight jacket and layers of clothing. Make sure you bring rain protection. I've been to Sapa twice (November and March), and experienced cool weather (mostly fog and drizzle) but not really freezing weather. No need to bring all your luggage with you to Sapa - hotels in Hanoi gladly hold luggage for their guests while they're on a trek/cruise. One thing you should do is to arrange for your Sapa hotel to meet the train - IMPORTANT.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 02:40

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

I was in Sapa in late December - it was pretty chilly at night, but during the day it as quite nice (although I got lucky and it was sunny). I would think a light or medium jacket combined with layering would be ok - it really depends on the person and what they are used to...

#4 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 09:18

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Thanks all above. I will bring my winter jacket then. I think in Sapa , it will be very very cold at night during that time. I try google to get the Sapa real time weather but couldn't find one reliable one. So I think my friend advice is not wrong. He said FEB & MAR, 5oC-8oC at night. And day time it will not be above 15oC in Sapa.

#5 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 13:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.