Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

vietnam Long Term

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Ok so heres the story...not sure what sort of information i will get on this forum but i thought i'd place my predicament on a few sites i trust for helpful information.

I have been travelling in vietnam now for 3 weeks and i'm currently in Hanoi for the next 10 days awaiting a visa extension. I have fallen in love with the country and a local vietnamese woman ( feeling are mutual...before any jokes) after spending 10 days in Hue .....Now here is the predicament.

I want to move here for a while and see if this relationship goes anywhere.. but i dont know where to start. I'm a small town Aussie boy who has no experience with the world outside of my home town. What do i need to do to get a long term visa for Vietnam? Where do i go to find work in Hue ( cant be anywhere else) , How hard is it going to be to achieve what i need from an employment / visa standpoint?

Even advice on bringing her back to Australia ( i know its pretty early to know if thisis even a choice)

Any advice appreciated guys, I have fallen pretty hard for the country and the young lady in particular and would at least like a chance to see where it goes. This is a serious post so would definately appreciate serious answers.....Be Gentle

#1 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 18:06

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

you can extend your visa for 6 months already so that gives you a 7 month start to go for.
    after the 7 months, just do a visa run, get a new vietnam visa en extend it again for 6 months, works fine.

don't know anything about working but it's not that easy as you might think! possible side jobs are always available for free food and accommodation.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 19:38

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Thanks Svendj, Didnt know you could extend till 6 mths without a job or a business in Vietnam or a sponsor. Do you have a link about that? I am extending for another 30 Days now on a tourist visa.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 19:56

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

I have spent the last 3 years floating around SE Asia.

VISA
    Visa's can be a bit complicated in Vietnam.

The had a year of restricting visa's to 1 months extensions but have went back to normal.

This time i came across from Laos having paid for a 1 month tourist visa. I then changed to a 3 month Business visa. This week i just got a 3 month business Visa extension. I can get one more if i wanted it but wont be. Basically visa + 2 extensions then can you can convert to 1 month extensions a max of 4 of them.

there are single entry / visa multi entry / tourist visas and business visas.

i think they are doing 6 month visas at the moment. At different times they did 1 year but not now.

Tip always go to several agents for advice. Where you maybe get a good price the first time not necessary good the next time. My current 3 month cost me $40 US.You can then skip across to Cambodia or Laos. PP in Cambodia is 6 hours from Saigon by bus. Easy.

Have a look at :
    http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/overland.htm

Great site about traveling around SE Asia. Logistics and scams.

WORK
    Most people either teach English or are scuba divers. The other option is handing out leaflets for bars and getting paid to sit in the bars talking to the westerners.

Another option is to volunteer - you can teach and get free accommodation and food. If you have a different skill
    you can go to a university and say you will teach computers skills(what ever your skill is ) free and then if they like you after a couple of weeks ask them to sort a work permit for you.

There is a business visa but then there is work permit to work properly in Vietnam. If you teach at a school they should organise for you but some want you to do it. They prefer Uni degrees but some times people work on their own.

It is possible to start a business and register a company. There are some companies that do most of the work and charge you for it.

Dont want to put a dampener on it but i would suggest you look at the situation of having an amount of money
    that you can afford to loose.

OZ
    There are some counties that Oz allows to visit easily. With Vietnam a sponser is required. Basically stating if the other gets sick you will pay for them. If down the line you want to get married to them take loads of photos everywhere you go. document it. Have a bank account shared.
    Stat decs from friends stating you have been together etc.

GIRLFRIENDS
    Suggest you do a bit of research on the hard luck stories of people marrying in Asia and it not working out. This is just a statement stating don't jump in and be a bit street wise.
    On your fist overseas trip everything is exciting and new, just step back a bit and be careful.

Good luck

#4 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 01:27

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I'm British so things might be a bit different for me in terms of a Visa. We came in on a 1 month visa then got a new 3 month business visa which we extended twice. Loads of people here say they have to leave the country every 3 months, so I don't know if we just got lucky or if it's a British passport thing. Anyway, we had to leave the country after those 10 months but were able to get a 6 month visa in Vientiene. This is not common - I'd only found 3 month options elsewhere but managed to arrange this through an agent in Hanoi.

As Vietnamrum says, the business visa doesn't actually give us the right to work here, we need a work permit for that which actually is really time consuming and quite expensive to organise. As far as I know you also need a University degree to get one though that might have changed.

As for setting up a business, we looked into it but it was going to cost $3 - 4k to do it through a lawyer (as a wholly foreign-owned enterprise) so we've put that on hold for the time-being.

I don't know about job opportunities in Hue but I'm guessing, as previously suggested, that your best bet is to find a bar / guesthouse to work in or look for teaching work.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 08:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Apartment Ramkhamhaeng Road for Rent Short-Term, Long-Term Reasonable Price ... By theofficebkk on 21 Aug 2012 0 2012 21 Aug 2012
Long term rental Mui Ne Bay ... By EvelienVeenstra on 22 Sep 2008 2 8665 20 Jul 2011
ko samui long term ... By michellouws on 20 Feb 2008 2 2862 21 Feb 2008
Long term stay ... By jarb on 31 Mar 2009 1 2987 7 Apr 2009
long term accomodations ... By bonerjams69 on 26 Jun 2007 1 2557 27 Jun 2007
Long term accommodation on Koh Tao ... By Oceandreamadean on 23 Dec 2012 2 1999 25 Dec 2012
long term accommodations ... By Lisstarr on 17 Nov 2006 3 2893 17 Nov 2006
Long-term Travel Worries ... By rledez1990 on 27 Mar 2012 9 2289 29 Mar 2012
Any long-term storage available in HCMC? ... By gumby on 17 Oct 2009 0 2285 17 Oct 2009
Budget long term Apartment Koh Tao ... By caitlinbrady on 13 Mar 2011 5 7884 29 Nov 2012