Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mai Chau questions

• ramrod

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

Would like to go from Mai Chau to Ninh Binh, is this possible by direct bus ?

Or by private car or taxi , any idea how much tis will cost , can i arange this in Mai Chau?

Any suggestions for a guesthouse or hotel in Mai Chau, clean and not to noisy if possible ,max $25 pn

Witch area around Mai Chau is recommended,for a nice walk throu paddy fields/terraces ?

Thx

#1 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 22:47

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

It's all possible - the public bus is fine. I took it from Mai Chau to Hanoi last year, and there's one to Ninh Binh too. Most people take a tour, but you can do it on your own too. The White Thai Villages are the most popular places - no problem with noise in this valley (it might be too quiet!) The only real hotel here is rather posh, but they now have this homestay hotel too.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 03:20

• joetran

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

There is a short cut from Mai Chau to Ninh Binh that common route for loacl bus. The local transport can be arranged from homestay or guest house. For accommodation, you can stay in Mai Chau lodge if budget permits, but best to stay at Homestay with local, much cheaper and cultutral experience. Meals can be arranged with homestay too. People usually stay in Lac village but if you find it too touristy, you can move to next door village named Pong Kong which is much quieter.
    There are couple of routes for soft walking in Mai chau to visit, ask for Van village or Mai village for direction. Nice and easy walk
    P/s: @mod: please leave me the message for the reason of reply deleting. I was trying to give out the support ( all written by hand ) that useful with reader. It takes time and my experiences not a copy paste then i think i should know the reason. thanks mod

#3 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 14:29

• ramrod

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

Ok thx ,very help full .

Is this bus a direct bus or do i have to change busses , do you have any idea how much a private car or taxi wil cost ?

I like to stay in a homestay or small hotel , i found Mai Chau Nature Place home stay ,they have also private rooms , looks very nice .

#4 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 14:53

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The only problem I had in Mai Chau was that no one spoke any English, but the locals were certainly very friendly. I don't know the details of the bus, and chances are you will pay an inflated "tourist" price. Private cars are not very expensive - I would guess $50. to Ninh Binh vs pennies for the bus. The most enjoyable way to see the area is on a bike, and all homestays let you use them free. My complaint about the area was that it was just too quiet for a solo traveler. Take it easy with that moonshine - the local rice wine is potent!

#5 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 02:56

• ramrod

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

Just got a price quot from someone and his price was $90 for the Mai Chau -Ninh Binh
    transport ,looks way to much to me , well i have to search some more on this one i think .

#6 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 20:03

• MaiChauNatu-
    rePlace

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2010

There is 1 public bus straight from Mai Chau to Ninh Binh each day. It leaves at 5am from the town bus station in Mai Chau (across from the market). It takes about 3.5 hours and costs 80,000. (dont get ripped off!)

There is another way but you have to take 2 buses. The first from Mai Chau to Tan Lac, which is only a 30km short bus ride for 30,000. Then the 2nd bus is from Tan Lac to Ninh Binh costs 60,000.

to make it alittle easier, say this
    toi muon di Ninh Binh = I want to go to Ninh Binh
    dat qua = too expensive

If you are looking for a non public bus option, Manh works in Mai Chau and arranges private car transportation to Ninh Binh and other destinations 0946888804

@ramrod, glad you enjoyed your room in mai chau nature place

#7 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 15:40

• duong

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2010

Hi,

I agree with Mai Chau Nature place abou the transfer from Mai chau to Ninh Binh.

For your accommodation in Mai Chau, there are only 2 options for you:

+ Homestay with the local people => Most tourists would like to do this option as it will bring them new experiences for their travelling, explore the daily life of the enthic people, learn more about the traditional, culture....

+ Guest house or eco lodge: There are some guest house in Mai Chau town for you just incase you do not like to do the homestay. There is Mai Chau Lodge located quite close to Poom Coong Village. It is a nice lodge, comfortable than guest house or homestay but it's cost is quite high.

You could do walking or biking to visit Mai Chau town, local market, villages surrounding....

#8 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 10:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.