Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Travelling with children

• davekna1

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2011

Hi everyone - new to this site and it looks good! I am thinking about travelling to Vietnam in April for a couple of months from Darwin. Whilst over there I would like to get my 11 year old daughter to come and visit and explore - (she lives interstate) Does anyone have any advice on her travelling over there by herself (obviously being met by me!!) also any advice on what innoculations and other medical stuff should I be worried about. The idea was to travel about and backpack for a couple of weeks with her and then i would continue my travels - so any ideas / suggestions for a safe trouble free couple of weeks would be appreciated - cheers

#1 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 10:12

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Great experience for a kid that age. I'd consult a physician to check on any medical issues. But she should already have all the basics.

#2 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 10:53

• davekna1

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2011

Hey Madmac - I have read a lot of your posts on this forum - sounds like you have been there for a while - must enjoy it!!Part of the problem (which is also admirable) is thet her mother is not overly keen on any vaccinations etc. so that is why i really need to know the esssentials - appreciate any advice - have looked on the other forums but all sites seem to say that this or that is reccommended etc. but not essential - I also dont want her to to be jabbed with stuff that she probably doesnt need - cheers

#3 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 21:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Best advice I would think would come from her pediatrician. She shoudl already have had her standard shots. Here's a CDC link for Vietnam though.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/vietnam.aspx

#4 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 22:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And yes, I have lived here for three and a half years. But some have lived quite a bit longer, like Rufus

#5 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 23:15

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

...This summer, my wife and 2 kids, girl 9, boy 8 will fly to vn for...2 months...without..me. Oh, man, due to personnal stuff, I 'd be ...MIA..during this trip. Anyway, we travelled frequently to vn almost every couple years. After standard vaccination by your family physician, you'd be OK to travel with kids there. We did when our first kid was....3 months old! VN is ok nowadays, plenty of pharmarcies...without doctor notes, you can buy...anything with...cash too. A true garden for kids in vn. In HCMC alone, there are plenty of places for kids to roam...like DamSen, SuoiTien, Zoo,.....labah. My kids couldn't wait for their trip even though they don't speak the Vietnamese...Aahahhahaha! Safe and sound, you should bring your kids to Mekong Delta region, mine love the farmlands there, travelling in sampan on little rivers, canals,..pet the local live stocks, chasing their ducks all day in the field and locals...just love them. Wish you have good trip in vn. One more thing, do not pack a lot of kids' clothes. Mine on their way back to Canada with 2 full boxes of their new clothes and tons of shoes. They are...fancy and cheap Even toys, rd cards, intendo dxi....Cheer! Nice beaches are...every where in vn. My kids in last trip, loved Muine, Nhatrang, VungTau....Make sure enjoy the beaches before July (rainy season).

#6 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 03:20

• jackdsilva12

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

Travelling with children can be rewarding and fun if you are properly prepared and do your research before you leave.

#7 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 16:53

• davekna1

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2011

Thanks guys for the replies - appreciate the time that people take - cheers and happy travels

#8 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 17:51

• urleandy

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

For most of the trip we used the net and email to find accommodationand book ahead, even if this was just 24hrs ahead. The few times wedidn't, it all works out as it inevitably does, but it is difficult to scour a place for somewhere to stay with two young kids in tow!

#9 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 13:29

• davekna1

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2011

Thanks again to everyones replies - I have a couple of further queries - the main one is this. I am unsure which way to go with my daughter - I have two options and not sure about either.
    1. I fly from Australia with her and we go through customs and passport control together in vietnam, which means that as I am staying a little longer over there she would return to Australia by herself and have to go through the Australian customs / baggage check by herself - as she is 12 years old do you think that this may be to big an ask for her?
    2. we do the reverse and I go over first and get her to fly over later and meet me and we return to Australia together. This way it means she would have to go through Vietnamese customs etc. by herself on arrival - do you think that this would present greater difficulties?

I am leaning towards the first option but as I have never been to Vietnam I am really after the advice of someone who may have been in this situation.

The other question is - as she is a caucasion, blonde hair and blue eyes - her mother has raised the issue of public toilets; - now - as I am not allowed in her toilets and she is not allowed in mine it presents a bit of a dilema - I mean the sort of stuff that I am alluding to happens in Australia as well - but in a foreign country it probably presents more difficulties - again any advice appreciated - thanks in advance - cheers

#10 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 17:54

• Advertisement

• Lovebug56

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2011

Taking some simple health and medical precautions should minimize your risk of becoming ill while overseas. You must also have information for your trip to Vietnam. Quick guides to travel essentials including finding Vietnam and U.S. government travel and adoption assistance; obtaining your passport and visa; using electronics, email and communication; Vietnamese money, shopping, time and weather.

#11 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 10:58

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Have you checked with the airlines re:unaccompanied children travelling alone? Some charge extra fees ($100), some even have a minimum age.
    I'd have thought at 12 years of age she should be able to take care of most things, toilet wise, herself. Public toilets for the most part are best avoided (standards do vary enormously) but where provided usually have someone collecting the money for their use and as such 'standing guard' outside. But Vietnam is a very safe country. Kids quite frequently go off to school by themselves, in the dark, by age 6.
    Certainly get vaccinations done. There really is no point going on holiday and end up going back home with heavens knows what. Certainly the basics, plus Hep A and typhoid as a minimum. You don't say where you intend going but if leaving the cities you might have to think about protection against malaria and mosquitoes generally. No protection against Dengue fever as yet.
    But generally she should have a good time. The thought about children here being that they should not only be seen but heard too!
    Might pay to have a look at ..... http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=203&category=21

#12 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 05:36

• davekna1

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2011

Thanks 69 bertie thats exactly the advice I have been looking for, as far as taking care of herself there is no worries there - it is just the "fear of wierdos" and unsavory characters so the standing guard thing is a good one to know! At this stage i think we will be flying into Ho chi minh spend a few days there and then go to the Mekong Delta - back to ho chi minh and then travel up to Hanoi and have a look at that part of the country - whilst she is with me it will mainly be the "tourist" destinations and once she comes back to Australia i will continue my travels and hope to get to some of the more remote areas - again thanks for the advice and the link - cheers

#13 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 07:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travelling with young children ... By myrto on 24 Jul 2006 2 4260 25 Jul 2006
Travelling with children in asia ... By somtam2000 on 6 Jul 2009 0 5929 6 Jul 2009
Travelling with children in Thailand ... By gazehunter on 19 Nov 2009 2 4503 20 Nov 2009