Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorbike Hire in Vietnam

• trobs

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

I am quite keen to hire a motorbike while in Vietnam but keep hearing differing views about the legality of doing this. Is it possible/ feasible to get a Vietnamese motorbike licence while over there and thereby cover travel insurance and police worries.

I have previously hired motorbikes in Bali but getting caught by the police only entails a ~$7 AUD "fine". My travel insurance covers me as long as I have a licence valid in the relevant country. I only have a car licence in Australia which I think allows me to ride 50cc.

Thanks

Stephen

#1 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 19:45

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I know a lot of people here with motorbikes and as far as I know none of them have licenses. So definitely no problem to hire a bike without one, but in theory it is illegal. However, if you get stopped the fine probably won't be too high - a friend got caught going through a red light and was charged 200,000VND (about $10) and no questions asked about a license. However, you will struggle to get anything below a 50cc so you'll have to decide whether you are happy to risk it on the insurance side of things.

#2 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 21:02

• shotgun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2010

Stephen you can hire a motorbike easily pretty much everywhere in SEA but dont expect your travel insurance to cover you if you have an accident. Especially considering you dont even have an Australian motorbike license.

As for the cops, i wouldn't worry too much. They wont bother you too much due to the communication barrier, but if they do, you will just have to flash the cash.

#3 Posted: 2/2/2011 - 09:36

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

...I wouldn't worry about licence for motorcycle in vn, unless I plan to stay there longer than...3 months. The waiting period for vn licence takes a few days plus fee. There are millions of bikes on the road with... a few cops. As long as you have helmet, no overspeed or accident, you're OK. One time get pulled over by cops, the cost is still good vs the fee and the waiting for equivalent vn licence. Make sure to have mirror to reflect your behind on hws and expect the...un-expect. That's all. One of my little experience in Mekong Delta region as....Due to the narrow highway with all kinds of..things,..i.e..animals, drying crops on the road, pedestrians...one time I rode the bike along a country road and in front of me besides the road, there was one farmer walking on his way to the field...His hoe on his shoulder with...a long handle...When I approach him from behind, he suddenly turned sideway on to the trail down the field and there ...I quickly duck the hoe's handle stuck out from his back. Oh, man. that's all. Aahahhahahahahhaha!

#4 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 05:18

• trobs

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

Thanks everyone, I think I will just hire a bike and not have an accident!!

#5 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 07:22

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

of course always be prepared for the unexpected.........
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11395809

#6 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 18:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
One way motorbike hire ... By sacott on 13 Jun 2009 5 3700 14 Jun 2009
one way motorbike hire, hoi an to hue! ... By laallee on 28 Mar 2010 3 5134 31 Mar 2010
Hire motorbike and return elsewere ... By momo on 5 Dec 2006 2 2719 6 Dec 2006
Hotels in Luang Prabang and Motorbike Hire ... By ron67 on 30 Dec 2008 12 6325 17 Feb 2009