Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Which beach Nha Trang or Mui ne

• skottypa

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have 3 days left in Vietnam and I want to spend it on the beach catching some rays and swimming. Which beach do you reccomend? I was leaning towards Mui ne but I can't find a hotel for around $20 or less a night. I love to swim so water quality is the most important. Any advice? Thank you

#1 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 06:57

• Advertisement

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Your biggest problem will be bus or train availability. You need to check that first.

I have not been to Mun Ne but have lived in Nha Trang off and on for the last 3 years.

I stay at Hon Chong - an area 3.5ks from the Tourist area.
    During the first 2 days of TET it was very busy over my side. I did not go into town at all.

Been in the tourist area since and lots of business's are still closed and decent amount of westerners walking about.

The quest houses my side are not busy so there is availability. I am sure it is easy enough even in the tourist area. TET generally is busy and less options and more expensive than when it finishes 8th Feb.

I pay $5 a night for accommodation but i live here and can negotiate better rates. That is internet, air con and cable TV.

The Sailing club and louisiane Brew House both are on the beach and you can rent sun beds.
    Vietnam is all coast line so beach everywhere.

http://maps.google.com/ search nha trang vietnam and you can look at the layout of the town.

It has been sunny the last few days but windy.

Enjoy

#2 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 15:26

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

Randy's experience about MuiNe, Vietnam. I and my wife tried to blend in with local people, so we stay away from fancy beach hotels with uniform guards greeting us and fancy swimming pools in the yard facing to ocean...And the verdict? We got a AC room, facing with the beach, 2 doulbe beds with...economy price, I forgot, just around 15US bucks per day and night. At early morning, all kind of Vietnamese families gathering on beach, we had freshly seafood right on the beach(crabs). We found out, people were friendly, staffs were polite, helpful, plenty of foods to eat with...super cheap, clean, safe environment. Every evening, we got taxi go in PhanThiet Town to enjoy night life there(not much around MuiNe at night, though) and came back to our "base" to shower and sleep. Remember, if you love fishsauce of Vietnam, PhanThiet is the best place to buy(better than anywhere in vn, according to locals) Myself and wife, a fan of...any native foods, ended up with a whole box with 16 fishsauce bottles, careful packed by locals and on my way back to Canada...With that amount of fish sauces..disappeared through relatives within 3 days...still NOT ENOUGH! Wish you all have nice trip in MuiNe. If you want either prolong your trip and economy, learning, exploring locals' culture, try to blend in as most as possible. They all are friendly, helpful, nice people I ever met during my travellings around Asia. Cheer.

#3 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 23:57

• skottypa

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

What was the name of the place where you stayed for $15? Thanks

#4 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 06:43

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

..I forgot the name of the place. But one thing for sure, it was 3 or 4 adjacent houses on the row. They were glass windows, air-conditioning, wooden doors and window frames with stain, reddish-brown color. They all were located in a fenced yard, next to a big restaurant with a little souvernir shop, the parking had enough room for around 5 cars/vans. One more thing, there were a lot of plastic chairs and tables in cement yard. Rarely with presence of Westerners there. From Phanthiet, you go down, passing all nice hotels and buildings on the beach side. If walking or driving down the road you couldn't see these houses because they all were faced to ocean. No one would greet you when you first come in because the main entrance was for customers going into the restaurant, mainly.That's all I can recall...

#5 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 09:19

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

mui ne doens't have a lot to offer, I'd definitely go to nha trang and go out of the main area. local beaches with not even 1 tourist around. love it!

#6 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 15:34

• DivingVietN-
    am

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2011
    Location United States

Aloha and Thanks for The Support of Nha Trang Mui Ne is Very Nice but more for Windsurfing and Kite Boarding than Snorkeling Scuba Diving or Swimming Like in Nha Trang if Interested in Any of these Scuba, Snorkeling contact Newest Dive Center http://www.DivingVietnam.com Mark Scott's Diving Viet Nam with Aloha.
    Please Contact with any question You Have about Nha Trang VietNam.
    Aloha Mark.

#7 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 18:18

• candyman

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

I've only been to Mui Ne but if I were you I would try out Nha Trang . The swimming wasn't the greatest around Mui Ne--the water isn't too clear and the sand is not that great. From what I heard, Mui Ne was definitely quieter than Nha Trang, but I'm sure with a little bit of research/exploring you could find a quite spot in Nha Trang if that is your thing.

#8 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 05:35

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I'm guessing I'm too late to help you out skottypa but in my experience neither Nha Trang nor Mui Ne have great water for swimming along the beach. You might be OK in the mornings but by lunchtime the waves and drag can get quite ferocious. Out at sea it's better so taking a boat trip out from Nha Trang could get you to calm seas. Or look elsewhere along the coast - I've only been to the centre of each so just outside, where Vietnamrum mentions, could be completely different.

#9 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 18:09

• idee00

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

@ randy
    did you stay in phan thiet or in mui ne?
    if in phan thiet, do you mean next to the golf course in the east or was your guest house in the west?
    we want to go there tomorrow and your description sounded really nice.
    thanks, Irene

#10 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 11:35

• Advertisement

• vivuvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

Both are nice!, Resorts in Muine are very nice, just one thing, if you do not want to see many Russians, just choose Nha Trang.

Cheers
    www.vivutravel.com

#11 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 16:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.