Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Eat...in Vietnam(generally)

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

Hi to all international travellers into vn. This is Randy, from Canada and as frequent traveller into SEA, including Thailand, Cambodia and VN. My posts are solely from my own experiences that shaped up from my concept of "travel" and anybody could take as "advice" as they wish..To me, "travelling" means..exploring..learning and experiencing different cultures, ways of livings. Anywhere I come, I always try to...blend in with locals, live the way they do, eat the food they eat, closed to them...the most I could(relatively). Otherwise, I would stay back home, take an easy trip to Niagra Falls of Canada, staying motels and enjoy...the expenses. Make it short, this is where I and my wife used to eat when we were in vn. Even among my trips into vn, the shortest one was...6wks, we kept coming back as second home due to VN's hospitality, her people and rich history, amazing culture, beautiful landscapes and the most importance: cheap and safe. YET, there are so many things to explore about VN as a whole..To eat cheap(not dirt cheap, though) with fresh, hot foods and staying healthy for my trip, we after a few trips, discovered that eating with Vietnamese were...BEST. In HCMC, there are plenty of those outlets. You could see rows of motorbikes parking in front, taxis came and go to drop and pick up customers.(almost like outdoor outlets with fans only and no tinted glasses windows) Most of them were local students, workers and even local families(I found out that they came, ordered then take home). And by chance I discovered some local families never...COOK (unless in their festival days). That was where we ate. That's all. My style would be fit for all international backpackers if they want to explore the country on their owns, staying healthy and even proplong their trips...CHEERS!

#1 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 05:16

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I hate Vietnamese food - but I'm glad you like it. Hope you have a good time there.

#2 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 13:54

• Gregirie

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Yea, as everywhere just look for places with locals eating, ignore the lack of ambiance and mood lighting. sit somewhere popular either point at something someone else has or point at things in the kitchen stall that you want to eat; and make sure you find out how much it is before you touch it!! if its in a tourist area they will try to charge you like crazy, i usually watch how much other people are paying so learn the colors of the money.
    if its not a tourist area you are generally ok but still check prices.
    lots of yummy rice and noodle soup.
    also exploring the corner shops is a fun time in Vietnam. families hang out, people come smoke the bamboo pipe, drink tea talk then wander all over. if you sit there a while people take turns trying, with varying skills, to talk speak English to you, beer is usually cheap there too, like 10,000 vietnam. Its best to do this alone though, as they may be less interested if you are talking to your friend in English the whole time.

later =
    grego

#3 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 11:17

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I'm still looking for an inexpensive "Noodle Tour" of Indochina, but I know what you mean about Saigon. I've been reading Noodlepie for years, and the pictures are enough to draw anyone to Vietnam.

#4 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 02:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.