Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Some aspects into Adventures of SEA

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

Here is my personal opinions/experiences/knowledges about Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam travel, generally. I'm not a fan of Lao travel even if Lao has a lot of un-touch areas and very friendly people, but due to Laotian land locked country, no ocean view could be seen...To me, Thailand and Cambodia as whole, they have almost similar cultures, same structures, heavily Indian influence with majority of beautiful temples, pagodas with complicated details..Thailand is more commercial and exspensive compared to vn. The internal turmoil ssometimes trigger un-expected dangers. Thailand is more advanced compared to vn. About Cambodia, if you travel SEA and miss Angkor temples then you're wasted your chance due to cheap and friendly Cambodian environment as a whole. In my own experience, Cambodia has more flat lands, fewer mountains but....dangers still exsisted regarding to landmines in recent conflicts. I'm not sure whether I'm right or not but I think due to far aways from ocean which leading to shortage of ocean air, one could easily pick up malaria in jungles of Cambodia. And it doesn't take long, after one rainy day adventure of Cambodian jungles, you could get leeches on your body before you even know it. That happened to me during my 2005 wandering in jungles of Battambang province, not far from border pass POIPET b/t Thailand and Cambodia. Phnompenh is smaller compared to HCMC, more French influence in term of city structures but relatively as cheap as Vietnam in term of expenses. Riel as Cambodia currency has more valued than vn Dong. In short, in my long trip to vn, above 6wks, I used to "sneak in" Cambodia Angkor temples and Phnompenh from HCMC. Too bad to hear about stand off at PreahVihear b/t Thailand and Cambodia....

#1 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 11:48

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.