Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam in March

• gill1

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2010

Hi Guys

Just wanting to ask the experts a few questions before we leave for our epic journey...

1. We fly into HCM - what is the best way to get from the airport to HCMC? and how much approx will it cost?

2. We are aiming to buy bikes, should we bring helmets from the UK or buy them there?

3. Can anyone recommend a good clean, but cheap place to stay in HCMC for a few nights

4. I want to buy a Honda Wave or Dream can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy one? We will be arriving around March 10th

5. Just wondering when staying in hotels or hostels do you barter the room rate or just accept the price?

Thanks in advance

Gill

#1 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 03:14

• Advertisement

• angelaschon-
    berg

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

1. From the airport to district 1, always take a metered taxi- Mai Linh or Vinasun. It shouldn't cost more than 120k dong ($6 USD) to get where you need to go.

2 & 4. There are plenty of helmets to buy in HCMC. Helmets are sold everywhere, in the market on street corners. But, remember you get what you pay for. If are looking for a street-safe, proper helmet you should stop by Saigon Scooter Centre (www.saigonscootercentre). They, also, rent/sell bikes there. My friend has a great time with his Honda Wave and I have heard good things about the Dream too. Someone else or a bike retailer will have a better idea of the bike that would best suit you guys. Here, are a few more bike rental options (http://www.wordhcmc.com/listings/artsbooks/bike-rentals)

3. I have not stayed at these hotels but, www.wordhcmc.com always gives great reviews for us, Saigon expats. I have learned a lot about this city from their recommendations in the few months I have lived here and trust what they have to say. Here's what they had to say about 'Budget Hotels'.
    Ho Chi Minh City – Budget

Duc Vuong Hotel
    195 Bui Vien, Q1
    Tel: 3920 6992
    www.ducvuonghotel.com
    You’ll need your laptop to take advantage of the free Wi-Fi offered in every room and you’ll probably be impressed with the low price, friendly welcome and well-appointed, clean rooms. A modern oasis just a few steps from the street-level mayhem of the backpacker area.

Guest House California
    171A Co Bac, Q1
    Tel: 3837 8885
    A place for exchanging views as well as sleeping, with its communal kitchen and TV room, this venue ticks all the right boxes when it comes to comfort, cleanliness and amenities. A stay here will make you appreciate the pleasure of being a guest rather than just a customer.

Hong Hoa
    185/28 Pham Ngu Lao, Q1
    Tel: 3836 1915
    It’s always hard to get a room here without booking, and no wonder, since this tucked-away little venue is on a par with anything else in the area – attractive, comfortable, friendly and more. Plus there is free Internet access.

Lastly, you shouldn't have to barter for your room. The price should be reasonable enough already and if it does seem reasonable then I would try another place. Hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 21:37

• Soc_viettrip

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

1. MaiLinh (083.8383838) and vina sun (083.8272727) is good taxi. from the airport to center of HCMC is about 8km.
    2. 3.4. It is easy to buy a second hand bike in VN, all kinds of bikes you would buy. Just take care when riding bikes on Vn streets
    5. march is not hight season, easy for you to find a room. Bui Vien and Pham Ngu Lao streets have a lot of hotels cost from 10 to 20usd/room. come and look, if it is ok, stay. hihi. Good trip my friend,

#3 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 11:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.