Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mai Chau/Sapa - escape the crowds

• ElmoAustria

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2011

Hi. I am a new user, but have enjoyed spending hours reading posts on this great website.
    Thought I'd post this question having not found specific advice to date.

I wonder if anyone can advise me which villages to visit on a 2-3 day trek to Northern Vietnam to avoid the most "touristy" areas but see as much variety and stunning scenery as we can. We are looking for a medium difficulty trek and intend on taking the overnight train. Recommendations of tours also welcome!
    Thanks for your time

#1 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 03:45

• Advertisement

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

The title of your thread is including " Mai Chau ", so i recommend an area ="Pu Luong Nature Reserve" near Mai Chau never tourisy but possible to do a mountain treck by walking or motor-bike or mountain-bike visiting and homestaying minority villaves from Mai Chau or staying in side of this area.
    Now i'm staying at Yangshuo near Guilin-China and after entering into Viet Nam via Ha Long bay (on the coastal route from China) & Ha Noi & Mai Chau, i head to this Pu Luong Nature Reserve.
    Please check as a sample destinaion if you have enough time before going to Viet Nam.

*(Map)
    http://www.greentrail-indochina.com/vietnam/pu_luong_map.html
    *(Photo)
    http://www.google.co.jp/images?rlz=1T4GGLS_jaJP408JP416&hl=ja&source=hp&q=Pu+Luong+Nature+Reserve&btnG=Google+%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2&lr=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&oi=image_result_group&sa=X
    *(other URLs)
    http://www.google.co.jp/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLS_jaJP408JP416&q=Pu+Luong+Nature+Reserve

#2 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 22:25

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Now i'm staying at Kunming in China escaping from Viet Nam 3 days ago because anywhere in Viet Nam i visited, it's no good weather everyday but i travelled Pu Luong Nature Reserve for 8 days from Ha Noi till 4 days ago but now i knew it's my failure with misunderstanding to choose the best season for visiting. (i heard from local people the best season in Pu Luong is October)

In my travelling Pu Luong this time , the ways village to village were all extreamly muddy so walking by foot and running by chartered motor bike were both very difficult to go ahead and i felt nothing interesting.

And the more worse was at any villages people easily overcharged me as if they are the same to Kinh people(85% of Vietnamese) living in the towns and the reason was probably i was only a tourist in this season at any villages and they regarded as if i'm a very rich man having huge amount money??(i'm poor tourist!) losing my way to their villages.

Honestly speaking, i don't like visiting Pu Luong one more time for a while.
    And i'm sorry i recommended Pu Luong to others before actually visiting there.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2011 - 14:01

• duong

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

Both of Sapa and Mai Chau are the famous places for tourist thus you will see more tourists in both of these area honestly. However, if you still interested in these places, you could do some trekking to the remote area where you will not see much tourist there such as Hang Kia, Van or Buoc villages in Mai Chau...

#4 Posted: 14/3/2011 - 16:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sapa or Mai Chau? ... By ivo_24 on 29 Apr 2007 3 3821 1 May 2007
Mai Chau to Sapa ... By Pokol on 13 Oct 2009 2 3596 14 Oct 2009
Mai Chau, Halong Bay or Sapa? ... By mhlow on 28 Jun 2009 7 6683 29 Jun 2009
This is short notice but does anyone want to travel NW Vietnam together (Mai Chau, Son La, SaPa)? ... By sunwreck on 15 Jul 2010 3 1925 18 Jul 2010