Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Family trip to Vietnam

• tjmaxa

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2010

We will be traveling in Vietnam in March - 2 families with kids ages 8, 8, 10, 13. We are trying to come up with an itinerary that won't be overwhelming for kids or adults. We fly in and out of Hanoi. We originally were planning to go to Laos, but are now leaning towards spending time towards the end of our trip relaxing at the beach (preferably a beach with good swimming and not too developed).

Any itinerary advice specifically for traveling with children? We are talking about Hanoi, maybe Sapa, Ha Long Bay, Hue, Hoi An, and a great beach somewhere. We have a little less then 3 weeks. The kids really want to sleep on a train, so overnight trains seem like a good option.

We'd welcome advice from people who've traveled in Vietnam with kids.

#1 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 14:14

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I would restrict train travel to Hanoi-Lao Cai (Sapa) and Hanoi-Hue/Danang - the Livitrans service is the best. Hoi An has a great beach, but development is everywhere in VN. If I were a parent of young kids, I would avoid Halong Bay - did you hear about the loss of life this week?

(any connection with the store?)

#2 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 07:02

• richmanrunn-
    ing1

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2011

I would still go to Ha Long Bay but with a reliable boat as it is very amazing and believe the kids would love it. Hoi An is also great for them. Less developed beach might be Phu Quoc island but Nha Trang is better for children because there are more interesting water sports for them to join. You can have some time in HCMC and visit the Cu Chi tunnels.

#3 Posted: 23/2/2011 - 14:07

• Soc_viettrip

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you travel with chilldren, you shouldn't go to Sapa, Ha Long is a good sihgtseeing far 120 km from Ha Noi. beautiful Bay anh wonderful Beach (TiTop beach), but when stay in ha Long, everytime you and your kids want to swim you must go by boat. In Hue, some places are worth to visit, Thuan An beach is 30 km far from the center. From Ha Noi, you can go by train or by sleeping bed car to Hue. Train is better i thinnk so. There is a very lovely beach far about 60 km from the center to the South. It's called Lang Co beach.
    But if you need a place peacful, wonderful, cheap, have the beach for children, i offer Hoi An or Nha trang. Both is suitable for you. you can send me message, i will arrange the tour for you. Have good trip in viet nam.

#4 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 09:17

• Positivetra-
    vel

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2011

You and your familiies will love this trip! Vietnam is such a great country.
    Although I don't have kids, these are places etc I would recommend:
    In Ha Long Bay we did a 2 day 1 night Junk boat cruise with Oriental Sails-they were pretty good. You went to visit the caves, went kayaking, saw a fishing village etc-but the best part is you didn't have to go off the boat and do all the activities if you didn't want to. You culd just stay up on the deck and relax if that is your thing. If you want you can read some stuff we wrote about our experience here: http://positiveworldtravel.com/unesco-halong-bay-vietnam/ and we also have made a short video too: http://positiveworldtravel.com/sailing-junk-ships-caves-halong-bay-video/ Personally, I don't think you need to do the longer boat cruise around the bay.
    Hoi An is also great (you may go shopping crazy there getting things tailor made!) The beach near Hoi An (Cu Dai Beach) is pretty nice. Depending on your budget there are few family reosrts that are pretty close to the beach. Otherwise if you are staying in Hoi An, it is about a 10 minute drive away. One of the best beaches we went to however was at Dong Hoi . It is a really small town, but there is a great resort called Sun Spa Resort that has it's own private beach, with water sports. There is some information on Travel Fish here http://www.travelfish.org/location/vietnam/north_central_vietnam/quang_binh/dong_hoi That would be my first choice of beaches. We didn't stay at the resort but we went to use their beach and paid $5 to use their deck chairs and drinks from the bar etc. It was so much nicer than Nha Trang beach and a whole lot more relaxing, but still water sports etc for the kids to do.
    Here is a picture we took while at that beach in Dong Hoi http://positiveworldtravel.smugmug.com/Vietnam-1/Dong-Hoi/12724236_6Dh2a#916054820_RK6kk Pure Bliss!!

If you have any other questions I would happily answer them and you can email me directly at admin [at] positiveworldtravel [dot] com
    Cheers
    Elise

#5 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 01:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Wow positivetravel -- could you fit a few more link drops into that post?

#6 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 08:08

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Check out my 11 days of Northern Vietnam travel here. hope it helps....... http://sunnyhor.travellerspoint.com/

#7 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 23:51

• Trek

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2011

Hi,

If you're looking for a quiet, undeveloped beach, then you have to go to Phu Quoc, it's an hr flight from Saigon and the place you're after is Bai Sao aka Star Beach. It's still very much undeveloped and the people are great. Been there several times and beach is fantastic.

cheers,

Trek

#8 Posted: 13/3/2011 - 19:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.