Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mobile / Internet

• colourco

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

We run our own business and as nice as it would be otherwise we need to be contactable and be able to correspond via email with our staff. Telstra charge about $15 per meg of data for normal use and $160 for 60 meg using a data pack. How have others handled this.

Does your mobile phone bill really blow out whilst overseas? Is there planty of Wi Fi spots to log into for emails etc? Do these cost anything to use? Any other advice for communicatons would be helpful as we are virgin travellers. Cheers Mick

#1 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 08:18

• Advertisement

• octopus29

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

hi
    wifi available everywhere in Vietnam: restaurants, coffee shops, bars,.... most of the hotels have wifi in the room. and its free. so u dont have to worry about connection. but some places in Hanoi have quite weak signal.
    cheers

#2 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 11:50

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

octopus29 sums it up quite well. Just use the free WiFi. Or if you must use the phone, buy a local sim and use that to connect. Reasonably cheap too. Very cheap for calling oversea numbers with no chance of being clobbered by roaming charges, which can be excessive.

#3 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 14:55

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

i went 10 days to turkey....checked my emails a few times,browsed the web for 10 minutes in total. bill £1500. still arguing with phone company about it. roaming can be a total rip off. while u think u are using only a few megabytes you get charged loads of megabytes. be careful. id rather use wifi in a hotel or wireless.

#4 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 15:26

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Yup, stick with free wifi. Even the local cafes have Wifi here. Regarding a phone, if you're calling out then Skype would be your best bet but if that's no good then I think (don't quote me) it's cheaper to buy a local SIM card and make calls from that than it is to call from your international phone. It's also really cheap to send international texts from a local SIM card (it costs me about 3,000VND to send a text to a UK mobile) or vice versa.

#5 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 15:41

• colourco

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Cheers, thanks for the advice

#6 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 16:37

• Soc_viettrip

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2011

Dont worry about your works when travel in Vietnam, wifi everywhere, or if you carry laptop, you can buy USB 3G using card (like mobile SIM), where have the wave of mobile, you can use internet. It is sold 750k vnd nearly 40 usd. pay about 10 vnd for 1kb download. so cheap if you dont see movie or listen to music...You can ask peolpe when come to Vietnam. have fun

#7 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 10:23

• jemray

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2011

Hi, We grabbed a SIM from the airport when we landed in Ha noi. it is with VIETTEL (Tomato) and works a treat for OS calls, but we can't send texts internationally. We specifically asked for the OS texting option, but we can't send or receive! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

#8 Posted: 16/3/2011 - 09:48

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

I'm with Mobifone and sometimes have the same problem, as have many people I know that have come here. I just wondered how your numbers for abroad are stored. I use to get nowhere sending texts to the UK (0044) with them stored as +44******* Changing the +44 to 0044 seems to have helped but even now it isn't 100%. Sometimes I have to try sending the message again, maybe 15mins later. Sometimes goes, sometimes doesn't. If it refuses to go I end up cutting and pasting the message into a new message. Then for some reason it usually gets sent.
    I've even had to change the numbers of local Vn people I know from having the prefix 0084 to just a normal local number. Worked fine with the prefix for some months when I got here in Dec 09 and then all of a sudden, stopped. Very strange all round.
    Calling abroad I've had no problem, it's just texts.
    But it does affect all networks not just Mobifone or VIETTEL Vinaphone is another I know that does the same.

#9 Posted: 16/3/2011 - 10:22

• Positivetra-
    vel

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2011

There is free WiFi everywhere in Vietnam. Most places many guesthouses have it for free in their rooms or at least in cafes, restaurants, bars etc. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a place that has WiFi.

Have a great trip!

#10 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 01:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mobile internet while travelling ... By daflj on 4 Sep 2008 4 3993 31 Jan 2009
Mobile internet coverage in Indonesia ... By zicodali on 24 Jul 2011 16 7063 6 Aug 2011
Mobile internet and phones - what solutions are cheapest in SEAsia? ... By Solaris on 15 Sep 2008 1 3449 15 Sep 2008