Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

A short trip > Vietnam > Cambodia

• TBD1

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2011

Myself and my partner are planning a short trip to Vietnam/Cambodia.
    We live in Hong Kong so have taken the chance over the Easter break to book a trip.
    We arrive in Ho Chi Min on Apr 22nd and leave from there on May 2nd the rest of the trip we need to fill in.
    So basically we're looking for advice about what to see, how long to stay, best ways to get in between, should we book travel and rooms before arrival etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 13:15

• Advertisement

• richmanrunn-
    ing1

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2011

Spend about 2-3 days exploring in and around HCMC, including Cu Chi tunnels then head to Mekong Delta for 2 days. The rest of your time might be either at a nice Vietnam beach such as Nha Trang/Mui Ne/Phu Quoc or dedicated to Siem Reap.

#2 Posted: 23/2/2011 - 13:59

• RTW96

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2011

I would definitely do both Cambodia and Vietnam. You can get a bus to Phnom Penh easily from HCMC, you don't need long there. Make sure you visit the Killing Fields and the S-21 prison museum, both harrowing but a must. Then bus on to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat, my one day there is one of my favorite travel experiences ever. Go for sunrise, you won't regret it. I would book accommodation in advance in Cambodia as the cities are more spread out and guesthouses hide down all sorts of alleyways, that said, I met plenty of people who didn't and in PP there are many hotels along the water front you can easily find somewhere.

In Vietnam I flew up to Hanoi just for three nights to explore the city and visit Halong bay, I wouldn't say you need longer than that. If you want to travel there by bus or train from HCMC you will need two or three days. Along the way are many worthwhile towns to visit including the gorgeous beach at Mui Ne or shoppers paradise Hoi An.. There is so much to do, enjoy your trip!

#3 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 12:25

• TBD1

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2011

Thanks for the information.
    We're going to sit down this weekend and hopefully plan things out.

#4 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 12:42

• tourguidenh-
    anoi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

if you are interested to get a tour guide in Hanoi , Please let me know and I can offer you a reasonable price. I can also help you find a hotel that is suitable for you. I am a foreigner living and working in Hanoi and I found out that that this is a good business, plus I am able to help foreign people like me. I have a vietnamese partner also who will be there for more assistance. I offer cheap packages. We provide a car to help you go around Hanoi, Hotels, and a city tour in one day. We can also provide some assistance when it comes to other trips in Halong Bay and other famous landmarks in North Vietnam. Airport pick up is expected also.Travel agencies here are really expensive so I am here to do a good business and help you with all honesty. ( I know this for a fact, since I have been for 2 yrs) Kindly let me know if you are interested. :)

#5 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 10:32

• tourguidenh-
    anoi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011

if you are interested to get a tour guide in Hanoi , Please let me know and I can offer you a reasonable price. I can also help you find a hotel that is suitable for you. I am a foreigner living and working in Hanoi and I found out that that this is a good business, plus I am able to help foreign people like me. I have a vietnamese partner also who will be there for more assistance. I offer cheap packages. We provide a car to help you go around Hanoi, Hotels, and a city tour in one day. We can also provide some assistance when it comes to other trips in Halong Bay and other famous landmarks in North Vietnam. Airport pick up is expected also.Travel agencies here are really expensive so I am here to do a good business and help you with all honesty. ( I know this for a fact, since I have been for 2 yrs) Kindly let me know if you are interested. :)

#6 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 10:33

• tomnewcombe

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

I would spend a couple of days in HCM, spend your time around the Dong Khoi area for some excellent shops and restaurants but still being able to take in the speed of the city. Cheap accommodation is found in the Pham Ngu Lao/Bui Vien area. Day trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels then head straight up the coast to Nha Trang for amazing beaches! I would ignore other places on the way such as Vung Tao which are nice but incomparable to Nha Trang.

#7 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 17:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A short trip > Vietnam > Cambodia ... By TBD1 on 22 Feb 2011 7 4153 4 Mar 2011
18 Day trip Laos/Cambodia/ Thailand short but all the time I have !! ... By bobjim on 10 Sep 2008 2 2787 10 Sep 2008
Advice on SHORT trip to Vietnam... ... By knauermd on 13 Nov 2009 3 3446 20 Nov 2009