Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorbike trip from Saigon to Dalat....maybe

• tomnewcombe

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there, currently 4 months into a year stay in Saigon and i thought it's about time to escape the coffee shops, bars and madness of the place (2 trips to lie on a beach in Nha Trang doesn't really cut it as travelling). So i'm going to undertake a 2 week motorbike trip and need some advice.

I'm either going to travel up the coast to Danang as I really want to travel the Hai Van Pass then back down to Saigon via Dalat and it's surrounding areas, taking in the pass (not sure of the name) from Nha Trang to Dalat. As this seems a lot to cover in 2 weeks i may just travel up to Dalat spend my time looking all around this area or third option Saigon to Nha Trang then the pass from there to Dalat and back to Saigon.

Also any advice from anyone else who has undertaken a motorbike trip before would be really appreciated!

Tommo

#1 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 17:24

• Advertisement

• Soc_viettrip

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2011

With 2 weeks you can have a nice trip from SG - Nha Trang - Dalat - SG. Frist you start from HCMC, far 220km is Mui ne, you can stay here for 1 night or more depend on you. then one more 150km is Ninh chu beach, there is Vinh Hy Bay, seafood so good, cheap, you can stay here. Nha trang is far 100km from here. enjoy nha trang, you can go to Dalat by 2 ways, first: you back to Ninh Chu then pass follow the road 27th to Da lat, with this way you have to over the Ngoan Muc Pass. The length for this way is 220km. Second way, from Nha Trang you go to Dien Khanh, Khanh Son, local people call Hon Giao Pass. this is the very wonderful road and shorter 80km then first road. But it not good when rainny season come. BUT TAKE CARE WHEN RIDING MOTOBIKE IN VIETNAM MY FRIEND.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 10:14

• tomnewcombe

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Cheers for the reply. Yeah I think i'm going to do the Saigon, Nha Trang to Dalat. Really want to take the Hon Giao Pass. Later on in the year I want to do the Hai Van Pass - That looks amazing!

#3 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 10:37

• vothai2000

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

Check this website out. Their tour is very similar to what you plan to do.

http://www.vietnamvespaadventures.com/tours

#4 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 00:17

• tomnewcombe

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Cheers for that. Given me an excellent idea about distances and how long it will take

#5 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 13:25

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

....Regarding to motorcycling trip to HaiVan Pass, it's really experienced and wonderful. Thanks to the tunnel of HaiVan Pass, travellers have choice of motorcycling the pass by go up and down 20km of beautiful sceneries. At top it is 470meters above sea level(read at the sign) and the hw is with less traffic. Sometimes, you could bump into a white cloud on the road, just pull aside get off your bike and enjoy the excitement. A few minutes later everything will be clear..If you have chane to leave your bike and walk down the ocean below, there are plenty of places you could camp over night, swimming with your...bare ass because no one is around for....miles. That's what I did. Short comment: BEAUTIFUL. Cheer!

#6 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 21:40

• tomnewcombe

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Cheers for the tip. Hai Van Pass is definately a must at some point on my travels. Whether it's a bit to far for this trip i'll have to see. Got another 6weeks to plan it yet so see if i can fit it in.

Cheers
    Tom

#7 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 09:35

• burnthisnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Hi Tom, I see somebody's already mentioned Vietnam Vespa Adventures to you (the fourth post). It's true we do provide tours to Nha Trang via Dalat. But if you want to make this trip yourself, that's awesome. Feel free to stop by Cafe Zoom in Pham Ngu Lao sometime and ask for Steve or Josh - either one will be happy to chat & give you some advice on best routes to get there yourself (and well beyond it, if you wish). Cheers mate.
    Patrick

#8 Posted: 11/3/2011 - 11:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Motorbike from Saigon to Hanoi (Also looking for someone to do the trip with) ... By SEABackpacker on 10 Apr 2014 8 633 12 Apr 2014
Hoi An to Dalat by motorbike around Oct 7 ... By IdRatherTravel on 28 Sep 2010 0 1068 28 Sep 2010