Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Dong Ha to South Lao

• Gijsbos

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm riding a motorbike through Vietnam (south -> north) but weather has gotten bad. Therefore I want to go from Dong Ha to south Laos.

Question: are there alternative bus routes to Savannakhet?

#1 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 07:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes you can cross further south into Attapeu or north into Tha Khaek - see the FAQ in the visa and border crossing part of the forum fir a map and more info.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 10:45

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Dong Ha to southern Laos

Another very interesting route that you can directly go to southern Laos exists now.

Dong Ha -- Da Nang -- Hgoc Hoi or Kon Tum (from Dong Ha, one overnight needed there before entering into Laos for catching a direct bus)-- Bo Y border -- Attapeu (-- Sekong --Paksong)-- Pakse

(transports)
    *from Dong Ha to Da Nang----by local bus or express bus on NR.1
    *from Da Nang(=Ben Xe Trung Tam Da Nang =Da Nang Central Bus Station) to Ngoc Hoi or Kon Tum----by express minibus(Benz or Ford type)
    *from Ngoc Hoi to Attapeu/Pakse----catching a direct bus coming from Pleiku around 10:30-11:15 while they take a lunch at Ngoc ( =a Vietnamese restaurant "Thanh Lich" as below)

(other remarks)
    *You need one overnight at Ngoc Hoi or Kon Tum before crossing Bo Y border and entering into Laos
    *Ngoc Hoi is a big local township along NR.14 and has at least 3 budget guesthouses in front of the market & bus station along NR.14
    *a big bus company "Mai Linh Express" now operates a direct bus between Pleiku and Pakse via Attapeu & Sekong & Pakson in southern Laos(daily service)
    *one more bus company "Dien Hong"(zien-hong) operates a direct bus between Pleiku and Attapeu(daily service)
    *Mai Linh Express's direct bus leaves Pleiku at around 07:30am and stops at a Vietnamese restaurant in Ngoc Hoi for taking lunch(10:30-11:15) before crossing Bo Y border. This bus company has a branch in Kon Tum city (along NR.14) so contact with bus driver for picking up you is nothing difficult if you stay at Kon Tum.
    *The name of Vietnamese restaurant is "Thanh Lich" and it's adress is "149 Hung Vuong Str.(=NR.14)" near the rotary very close to the bus station. Bus fare from Pleiku to Pakse is 300,000VND including delicios lunch fee but i'm not sure how much the bus fare is from Ngoc Hoi to Pakse but Mai Linh Express dosn't overcharge so it's no problem. .(Pleiku to Kon Tum-- about 48km, Kon Tum to Ngoc Hoi --about 42Km, Ngoc Hoi to Bo Y border--about 18Km, Bo Y border to Attapeu--about 119Km, Attapeu to Pakse--about 185Km) MaiLinh Express's direct bus arrives Attapeu at around 14:00pm then arrives Pakse at around 18;00pm.

PS) A bus company in Dong Ha "Quynh Ngoc" operates a bus directly going to Pleiku via Hue & Da Nang & Ngoc Hoi & Kon Tum and i took this bus on reverse route from Pleiku to Hue Oct. 2010, but i lost it's telephone number & adress so i'm not sure now and probably you can know them with helping by a Vietnamese stuff in you Gh at Dong Ha. This bus runs very first on this route.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2011 - 12:26

• tamscafe

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there,

Hope this still valid for you. The direct bus from Dong Ha to Savanakhet departs in odd days. If you have not yet got a visa, you can do a VISA on ARRIVAL at the Custom office in Lao Bao/Densavan. Come to my coffee shop in Dong Ha at 81 Tran Hung Dao street and I will give you more information to get there safely. I have helped lots of motorcyclers like you to Laos. Reach me at tamscafe@gmail.com

#4 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 16:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.