Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam 18th of May

• daviddwilly

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

Hey Guys
    Just seeing if anyone will be in Hanoi around this time and fancy travelling down to Ho Chi Minh City? There will be myself and my girlfriend (we are from England) travelling, so if anybody is travelling alone or fancy making a group then let me know. It could save on buses, trains, taxi's, accomodation etc. We are both in our twenties, so let me know if you're interested,
    Cheers

#1 Posted: 18/3/2011 - 08:41

• Advertisement

• JasonB

Click here to learn more about JasonB
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Vietnam

How long will you stay in Vietnam? By the way, I live in Vietnam. If you want to meet up then drop me a message. Hope you have a nice trip

#2 Posted: 19/3/2011 - 14:58

• daviddwilly

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

JasonB, thanks for the offer, we will be in Vietnem for 30days, if you know any places that we should definitely not miss then let me know, thanks

#3 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 08:14

• JasonB

Click here to learn more about JasonB
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Vietnam

I think you shouldn't miss visiting these places : Ha Long bay, Hoi An ancient town, Hue.. When you are going down to the south also take your time to visit Ghenh Da Dia which is located in Phu Yen. Then head to Nha Trang relaxing on a white sand beach. From there you can take a bus to get to Dalat. If you have time enough do a tour to the Mekong Delta. Hope you have a nice trip.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 09:31

• daviddwilly

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

Hey Jason B thanks for the advice :)

We where wondering if anyone knows if Malaria tablets are available in Hanoi? (i.e. Malarone) and how much? as we are currently in NZ and we are looking at NZ$20 per tablet (very expensive) and we're wondering whether to just wait and buy them in asia, any info would be great.......thanks in advance guys :)

#5 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 08:21

• mikeanddani-
    elle

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Hey, my boyfriend and i are going travelling in may, Vietnam will be one of our destinantions looking to spend 1 month vietnam. having some difficulty are selves about which maleria tabelts to get as we are travelling the pharmacies dont know what to suggest. what did you decide to do?? and where did you get the from??
    How have you found travelling around by train is it as easy as people say??
    Also (sorry so many questions as leaving in 6weeks ahh) we are looking to do a 2night/3day halong bay cruise. have you done this? was it cheaper and easy to book whilst there?
    Any advice will be muchly apreciated.
    Thankyou

#6 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 10:11

• daviddwilly

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

@mikeanddanielle

sorry I can't give you anymore info as we do not get to Vietnam until the 18th of May. We have been to see a travel doctor in Auckland and they are suggesting 'Malarone tablets' (not sure if that is the correct spelling or not?) but they are proving very expensive - so I am waiting to hear if people have any suggestions. I know a few friends who didn't take any anti-malaria medication and they where perfectly fine, but not sure if this is the way to go for everyone!
    I've heard the trains and overnight buses are fine for travelling (see www.seat61.com for advice) and as for the Halong Bay tours, i've heard that you get what you pay for-so the cheaper the tour the lesser the standards and we have been advised to make sure the boat we travel on has enough life jackets/boats for everyone onboard
    Hope this is of help
    [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#7 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 10:34

• sk3

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2011

daviddwilly: I'll be arriving in HCMC on May 20 and making my way north (traveling along for most of the time), so would be happy to meet in the middle at some point if it works out. I assume you're planning stops in at least a couple of Da Nang, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang...

Can't help with the malaria meds, but after reading some threads on here and other places, I'm leaning toward forgoing preventative meds altogether. (see http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/2155_are-malaria-pills-that-important- for one example)

#8 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 11:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.