Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

NEED Advice while in Vietnam!

• boxer1211

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2011

Hello,

I am planning to travel to Vietnam in June. I am also planning to propose to my girlfriend while on the trip to Vietnam. We are going to be traveling from North to South, stopping for a couple of nights in Hue, Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay, and Ho Chi Minh City. I plan on proposing half way through the trip while on a cruise in Ha Long Bay. My concern about security has come up, and I can't seem to find any good experiences with this online.

Is it safe for me to travel with an engagement ring (hidden away on my body or in my carry-on?) And, is it safe for my girlfriend to wear her engagement ring for the second half of the trip after I have proposed? Most of our time (after the proposal) will be spent in Ho Chi Minh City.

I am just curious if it is a good idea to do this in Vietnam, as long as we are safe about it? I know that while we are in public places, she can turn the ring around and wear the diamond facing her palm to hide it. Any tips or insight would be helpful. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 02:08

• Advertisement

• JasonB

Click here to learn more about JasonB
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Vietnam

It's a good idea and you can do it in Vietnam. You just remember one thing that do not go out too late at night.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 09:22

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

You should be fine. Vietnam is more known for its scams than for muggings and robberies. Just be sensible.

Good luck with the proposing!

#3 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 15:06

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Keep the ring in your money belt, close to you, and you'll be fine. And don't worry about her wearing it once you there - it'll be fine.

Sounds lovely - good luck!

#4 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 15:34

• boxer1211

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2011

So from the experiences of you all on here, you haven't had trouble with wearing your "flashy" jewlery around in Vietnam?

I have some friends who go to Vietnam and they say that they never bring their rings...I just figured we could be safe about it and turn the ring around (facing the palm) when we were in city areas and other places we didn't feel totally comfortable.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

#5 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 23:48

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

..An engagement or even a wedding ring? No big deal, Buddy, as long as you don't go out at midnight and in secluded areas of Vietnam. During trips in vn, I 'd seen some Vietnamese people, males and females with BIG golden(24Karat) necklaces or bracelets which cost around A FEW THOUSANDS of US dollars EACH. So in your case, you'd be SAFE in my opinion. The worst case is the LOSS of it either by theft or else...Anyway, it's worth for the effort and do not be so....TIGHT for your special/personal beautiful memory...later in both your gf and your life. Cheer, and.....GO FOR IT! Believe it or not, during one of my trip in HochiMinh City back in the year of...2000, I rode a big block motorcycle with my 24Karat golden necklace which was long down to my...belly button, > 2 ounces and ..NO SHIRT AT ALL in HochiMinh City sunny day...That time, whole my body was ...red like...boiled shrimp due to drinking beer ALL DAY LONG and RIDING motorcycle...Trust me, there are a lot of poor Vietnamese people, but they ARE WAY BETTER than....DETROIT DOWNTOWN, USA!

#6 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 07:31

• debp1968

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2011

Sorry to say, I got my camera stolen in broad daylight in Hoi An on the road to Cua Dai Beach. It is not safe here, plus the rates for locals and the double rates for foreigners is ridiculous. Every thing is $1 till you're in their shop then its $20. And unlike the Thai and Laos who are lovely...Vietnamese scream. Oh and they grab you, a lot!! Do not bring anything of value here. I just got off a bus from Hoi An to Nha trang and my knapsack is soaked in god knows what. The hotel staff in Danang were as rude as one could possibly imagine without getting fired. This is odd as nothing close to this occured in Thailand or Laos. Just be prepared...its not pretty. Laos is Shangra-la and Thailand a close second. I will skip Vietnam next time. Can't wait to get to Cambodia!!

#7 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 08:30

• rockingstar

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2011

I think you'd better leave the ring at home. Vietnam is not a safe place to carry expensive stuff. If you lose the ring for any reason, you ruin your vacation. You may never forget bad memory on the engagement.

#8 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 02:22

• jojo123

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2010

The only place we were concerned about crime was HCM city. Someone tried to pick my boyfriend's pocket - luckily he had on hiking trousers with a second inner section within the pocket that has a difficult zip so he realized what was happening in time. Also some Aussies we befriended said in Nha Trang they had problems, but that is not on your itinerary. Really wasn't concerned about direct theft anywhere else you listed, like eastwest said, its more being 'robbed' via a scam (esp. taxis) that you need to be wary of. In general we found people friendly and non-threatening. Just keep the ring safe in HCM, otherwise should be fine to wear it.

#9 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 05:07

• Positivetra-
    vel

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2011

Good Luck with the proposal! I'm sure your GF will be thrilled!!
    As far as safety is concerned, there was only one time we almost had some of our camera equipment stolen and that was in a remote beach town, where we saw no other western tourists. We walked back to our room just in time to see a kid try and run away with our stuff!
    However, we did visit all the major tourists areas as well and never had any problems, with things getting stolen or feeling unsafe at any time.

For our time in Vietnam I saw many travellers wearing there wedding and engagement ring, but just as a personal choice I don't wear my engagement ring. The thought that IF something did happen and it got stolen or lost would be just devastating. It is a hard question to answer and really is a personal choice.

#10 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 01:32

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"...but just as a personal choice I don't wear my engagement ring."

Actually, I do the same when I travel - not so much because of security concerns, but because I don't like to 'flash' it around, especially when visiting the lower socio-economic and rural communities. I just leave it at home. The cost of a ring in some cases (not mine!) could probably feed a village for a year. I feel that carrying a camera flaunts enough wealth, I don't want to exacerbate that feeling unnecessarily with jewelry.

A plain wedding band, however, can be useful for girls travelling on their own! It may help thwart uninvited attention. Maybe.

Boxer's your situation is a little different and I wouldn't worry about taking it - it IS a special occassion. On the other hand, if you were worried about it, you could also buy a cheap ring out of a gumball machine and propose with that and give her the real one when you return home. It's not quite the same, and it depends on your girlfriends's sense of humour, etc. Just a thought....

#11 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 02:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.