Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Checking bags at hotel front desk

• mechlois

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2011

Hello,
    My husband and I will be backpacking, well, I guess I should say flashpacking through Vietnam next month. At times, we will have to check out of our hotel and spend the rest of the day sightseeing before we leave for our next destination. Instead of lugging our packs around with us, we thought it might be possible to check our bags with our hotel's front desk. I should mention, we're staying at moderately nice hotels. Does anyone know if it's safe? Any experiences? Any advice would be appreciated.

Much thanks!

#1 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 21:11

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

At the mid-range places I've stayed, I've never had a problem with it. Some places will charge minimal fee for the service - expect to have a closet to lock it in if that is the case. You can also go to the left-luggage office (which I took as a lost-and-found for some time) at train stations and some bus stations and pay a small fee to leave the bag there as well. Some people will tell you to padlock the zipper - a small, light weight lock (just a few centimeters square) would do the trick of warding off the casual snoop. Of course, don't leave anything dear in there, no expensive electronics - common sense stuff.

If they don't have a closet for you and just stash it behind the check-in desk, use your best judgment. Again, in that circumstance I've had no problems (knock on wood) but I don't leave it anywhere that the staff is regularly leaving the check-in desk unattended.

#2 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 21:58

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree with casey - I have done this several times in various types of places, without problem. There have been a few times that I leave my main pack with them and use my daypack for 2-3 day excursions. I think the longest time I left a bag behind was 3-4 week. I've never had a problem, but ALWAYS padlock the zippers (for what it's worth) - and never leave anything of value.

#3 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 02:31

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Even with a padlock it is easy to get in through the zip with a bic pen and then re close the zip.
    Put paper or cardboard over the lock and zippers and masking tape all around then write on the tape effectively signing the tape. It will be obvious if some one has tried to get into your bag.

Ant real valuables do the same in a plastic bag and ensure that reception puts it in their safe of locked cupboard at reception.

For real security get a pacsafe backpak.

cheers

#4 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 07:24

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

i can't imagine anyone wants to get to my dirty cloths and toiletry bag that badly. the only thing of value i carry is always with me in my day bag - my money belt/passport. sure i'd hate to lose my flashlight or something that i might leave behind but not enough to bother worrying about it, i can always get a new flashlight.

#5 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 08:54

• mechlois

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2011

Thank you so much for all of your helpful advice. Much appreciated!

#6 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 20:42

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The best advice I can give is to pick your hotels carefully, and then there will be no problem whatsoever. First of all, you should not leave any valuables in those packs. I wear a messenger bag for my camera and other valuables, and leave my larger 40L pack + another bag with gifts at my hotel. The only theft I've had in the entire country in 4 month-long trips to Vietnam was last Dec in Hanoi at the Sunshine Palace Hotel. Some staff member had entered my room while I was out at dinner, and removed some personal belongings that I left on the bed. Fortunately these items were not valuable, but I nevertheless felt violated, and promptly left that hotel. I urge you to travel with as light a load as you can manage, and you'll be fine. Do get a receipt when leaving bags with your hotel, and simply find another hotel when your sixth sense tells you it's not safe.

#7 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 13:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Checking In and Checking Out Hotels ... By AjarnPasa on 13 Aug 2010 20 4645 24 Jul 2012