Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Posting things home

• Feck_Tech

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2011

Hey,

In May I'm setting off to travel through South East Asia for up to 6 months. Although I am packing light (only taking a 50l rucksack), I have been known to buy lots of souvernirs on my travels. This time I am sure will be no different, I already plan on having a suit made in Vietnam!

I was just wondering how easy and expensive it is to send things back to the UK from places, specifically Vietnam and Thailand.

Any tips and information about sending things home would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

L

#1 Posted: 11/4/2011 - 21:56

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I posted parcels to NZ from Singapore and Vietnam (Hoi An) and both arrived safely and within reasonably time. Definitely post by ship rather than by air - it will take longer but the cost is signficantly lower - although still expensive! I think we spent about $50NZD to send a medium sized box back to NZ - but can't remember the weight. You really do need to factor in postage cost when buying a 'bargain' - it's not always such a bargain in the end! Having said that, it's not always about the bargains... it's about having somehting nice to bring back.

I often tend to buy one quality item from each country - something that I know won't look tacky in the house 6 months after I return. And I don't bother buying souvenirs for friends and family (send them postcards instead!)

#2 Posted: 12/4/2011 - 03:08

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

It's just that it takes forever. 4 months from Hoi An to Oregon. I would not post anything fragile or terribly expensive. I like art in VN, and many pieces of fine art or embroidered art can simply be rolled up or folded and put in a bag. I usually buy several gifts and then purchase an inexpensive bag to haul them home on the plane - this seems to work much better for me.

#3 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 11:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.