Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi-Hue-Vinh Moc Tunnels and Hoi An

• lilobodo

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2011

My daughter and I are planning to take the night sleeper from Hanoi to Hue with arrival in Hue about 8:00 a.m. We understand the schedules, prices, etc. pretty well.

Is it possible to get a car/driver in Hue to take us to Vinh Moc for the tunnels and then take us to Hoi An where we plan to spend a couple of nights?

Any information would be appreciated, especially contacts, prices, travel time, etc

#1 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 01:37

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi not sure if this is a help or not but my wife and I did a similar trip last June like a lot of people. Took the o/night train from Hanoi- Hue stopped 2 nights. On the second day I had arranged through the Stop and Go Cafe for a private car/driver/knowlegable guide to have a look at the Vinh Moc tunnels.Very insightful, is about 1 1/2 hours drive each way.We spent an hour going through the tunnels then stopped for cool drinks.Had a great drive back along parts of the coastline were I offered to buy the 4 of us lunch at a simple local seafood place were the guide did the ordering.Really enjoyed it then back to Hue all about about 100$ including driver/guide/drinks/lunch and tip which I thought was pretty fair.Beauty of this was no tour buses. Then simple day train ride for 2 odd hours to Danang for transfer to the lovely Hoi An.any questions ask away
    swag

#2 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 08:53

• johnmc

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

it is possible to get a car from Hue to Vinh Moc and then to Hoi An in the same day. If time permitting, you can visit the Marble mountain and stop for a look at Hai Van pass which is very scenic.

#3 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 14:02

• lilobodo

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2011

Many thanks to swag and johnmc. Every little bit of information helps.

Is it possible that johnmc is a travel agent? If so, he could certainly provide more information.

#4 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 00:50

• jojo123

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2010

Have you booked a hotel in Hue yet? We stayed at the Orchid hotel, and booked a driver from them to take us down to Hoi An at a leisurely pace stopping at places we were interested in. We left Hue at 8am and arrived Hoi An at 3pm ish with many stops including lunch. The driver was called Trieu and was a safe driver and shared a lot of interesting info with us. I think it cost about $60 which was pretty expensive in the scheme of things there, but petrol is quite pricey and overall we enjoyed the flexibility of this journey so worth the money to us.
    I'm sure if you stay in any reasonable hotel in Hue they can organize this for you.
    The reason we booked from the hotel was seeing some reviews of people who booked from some of the smaller street side travel agents and had nightmare drivers or dodgy vehicles.

#5 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 07:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
If I'll see the DMZ's Vinh Moc Tunnels, are the Cu Chi Tunnels still worth seeing? ... By dnovsky on 17 Dec 2008 1 4005 17 Dec 2008
Vinh Moc Tunnels ... By EdSue on 18 Jan 2010 0 2049 18 Jan 2010
Vinh Moc Tunnels ... By MissParker22 on 26 Mar 2008 2 4943 26 Mar 2008
Getting to the Vinh Moc Tunnels ... By Laki on 21 May 2010 8 9586 29 May 2010
Vinh Moc tunnels from Hoi An? ... By stefanw on 19 Sep 2011 1 3143 20 Sep 2011
Vinh Moc tunnels by motorbike from Dong Hoi? ... By Dylan on 15 Jan 2010 2 3287 16 Jan 2010
Phong Nha Caves to Vinh Moc Tunnels? ... By anissa on 19 Dec 2010 7 4263 10 Jan 2011
Hue to Vinh Moc Tunnels and Phong Nha Cave ... By roynolan on 1 Sep 2009 3 4283 12 Jan 2011
nearest railway station to Vinh Moc tunnels ... By roynolan on 15 Oct 2009 1 2727 15 Oct 2009