Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Hanoi --> Hue --> Da Nang --> Nha Trang --> Ho Chi Minh City

• aussiegirl

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2011

Hi everyone :)
    I am planning a trip to Vietnam in July 2011 and wanted to know if it is best to go by plane or train to all these different hops?
    Also, do you think that staying:
    5 night in Hanoi
    2 nights in Hue
    5 nights in Da Nang
    4 nights in Nha Trang, and
    5 nights in Ho Chi Minh City
    is a good amount of time? or maybe too long??
    Also, is this a good website to book the train hops?....
    http://www.hotelvietnamonline.com/train/fare.htm
    I wanted to book everything before i leave so i don't have that hassle of booking things when im actually in Vietnam, and i know travel agents here in Australia love to charge 3 x more in price, so i'm trying to do it all myself.

#1 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 05:16

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

If by 'Danang' you mean Hoi An, you're planning on a Halong Trip whilst in Hanoi , and going to the Mekong Delta whilst in HCMC, then this schedule seems fine to me as giving a general overview of the country. It's actually pretty similar to the schedule I had 8 years ago and that worked fine. Only thing you might want to consider is moving a couple of days out of Danang or HCMC and going up to Sapa .

As for transport - I'd do it all by train personally (bus between Hue and Hoi An), but it's worth looking at flights offered by Jetstar as they can be as cheap as the train and make a change.

Re the site you sent: I've not heard of them before so can't vouch for them or not. But the prices are still high: For example, last time I took a soft sleeper from Hue to Hanoi it cost under $25 and Hanoi to Sapa was under $20. Have a look at www.seat61.com which lists prices which are roughly right then you can decide how much booking in advance is worth to you.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 08:47

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I would go by train mostly. It gives you a better feel of where you are. If you are not comfortable on the long stretch from Nha Trang to Saigon for example, fly but local trave is part of the allure.

And there is nothing to keep you in Danang for 5 days usually. Hoi An like Sarah said. Or going up to Dalat?

#3 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 09:57

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

Danang used to be a biggest Air/Marine bases of US Forces in SVN during vn war. There were fierce battles b/t US and Vietcong there during war time, This is Randy knowledge of Danang nowadays, some high lights are: Cham museum in Danang City, My Khe Beach and NamO Beach where US personnels used to relax during vn war. SonTra mountain ( US named as Monkey mountain), Bana mountain (VietCong strongholds around bottoms and US Special Force base on top) now is resort with cable cars, Marble Mountains (5 of them) face to "China Beach" with a lot of caves, Buhddist temples...HaiVan Pass, beautiful sceneries with " cloud and ocean " hanging in front of your eye when you motorcycling up and down 20 km of the pass. Not mention about HoiAn ancient town which is 30km from Danang and MySon sanctuary +30km from Danang. To those who want to travel back to history of fierce battles b/t VietCong and South Korean Forces during vn war, there is an area named CAU DO, 15 km from Danang..To me, Danang is a MUST TO SEE. Cheer...

#4 Posted: 16/4/2011 - 04:29

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Meh...for a war buff. The average backpacker in Vietnam isn't there to see old battlefields but to see antient stuff and to party as well as eat and see local life. I didn't meet too many young Americans there. The Viets and many Europeans call it the American war by the way. I can see the allure of beautiful scenery but not because it was a battle ground. If anything that is a turn off.

#5 Posted: 16/4/2011 - 06:39

• jojo123

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2010

Train is fine. You save time over having to get out to the airports and wait in departures etc. Though I would recommend if you can budget for it do a car or motorbike transfer from Hue to Hoi An - make a day of it, and get them to stop at the nice places on the way, particularly on the way up and down Hai Van pass and then at Marble mountain as mentioned already. Da Nang city itself is fine, but I would agree with recommendations to stay in Hoi An instead, especially if you can time it with one of the lunar month lantern evenings.

Also if you travel by train and get the sleeper carriage, choose the top bunk as I picked the bottom one and mice decided to run over me and the guy in the other bottom bunk all night, gross! (and yes this was in Livitrans 'first class', lol).

Maybe don't spend 5 nights in HCM, but a couple out on the delta instead.

#6 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 07:49

• matpet

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2011

To be frank, I am not really keen on train in Vietnam, except for those tourist trains go to Sapa.
    Flights get delayed most of the time (either cheap Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines), but I would still go with planes.

And I agree with travellingsarah, you should go up to Sapa. And in my opinion, if you're already having 5 nights in Danang/Hoi An, 4 nights in Nha Trang is not really necessary.

#7 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 19:41

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011

I'll add my voice to those saying Hoi An instead of Danang, unless you have a strong preference for modern towers and unfinished resorts over picturesque small towns.

Danang might have a fair few sights but many of them can be seen by taking a motorbike tour from Hue to Hanoi (with or without driver; highly recommended - you'll pass through Danang anyway) and the others can be seen on easily on day trips out of Hoi An where you'll have more choice.

#8 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 14:35

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Suggested Itinerary
    Day 1 Arrive HCMC, relax

2 War Remnants Museum, Central Post Office, Reunification Palace, HCM Mausoleum
    3 Mekong Delta
    4 Cu Chi Tunnels and shopping
    5 Early flight to Hanoi

6 Wander the Old Quarter - shopping
    7 Train to Sapa & arrange a trek for this day (train often in the evening)

8 Markets – train to Hanoi

9 Old Hanoi Cooking Centre
    10 Halong Bay
    11 Return from Halong Bay & free time
    12 Fly to Denang, hire car & driver to Hoi An
    13 To HCMC
    14 Free Day probably shopping

How many days depends on your decision

#9 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 18:45

• evivatour

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011

You have many days to go, that's great. But I think you spend too much days in Hanoi and Da Nang. You should spend 2 days in Hanoi, 3 days in Sapa, 2 days in Hue, 2 days in Da Nang, 1 day in Hoi An, 3 days in Nha Trang, 2 days in Mui Ne, 2 days in Da Lat, 4 days in HCM and mekong delta. So you can travel more places

#10 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 11:54

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Sorry evivatour but I don't agree. Your schedule means loads of travelling and never being able to fully rest up and and experience any one place. Plus I assume aussiegirl is planning a trip out to Halong Bay as part of her 5 days in Hanoi.

#11 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 13:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, Vietnam? ... By karigirl on 18 Aug 2011 4 5243 18 Aug 2011
How do we get to Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city (Vietnam) ... By soccersimo on 29 Dec 2006 2 2587 9 Jan 2007
Can Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi be done in 12 days? ... By fwen on 5 Sep 2009 7 5435 6 Sep 2009
Ho Chi Minh - Dalat - Nha Trang - Hanoi - Ha Long Bay ... By gladysymho on 2 May 2011 4 7097 18 May 2011
Motorbike trip Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City ... By rich1 on 1 May 2014 1 567 7 May 2014
Travelling to Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City in June.... ... By gwokki on 26 Mar 2011 0 1947 26 Mar 2011
Travel Buddy for ASIA south Vietnam, Ho chi minh city, Kuala Lumpur & maybe Cambodia ... By mokken on 13 Nov 2009 1 3541 7 Feb 2010
Nha Trang or Da Nang? ... By anniele on 25 Jul 2014 5 1587 23 Sep 2014
Nha Trang or Da Nang/Hoi An ... By dstrips on 10 Jan 2010 26 19557 25 Dec 2011
Overnight train Nha Trang to Da Nang? ... By adelene on 16 Jul 2006 2 9532 17 Jul 2006