Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

BKK to Vietnam via Cambodia

• pipistrel

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2011

Hi all,

My husband and I are traveling to SE Asia (from Australia) for the first time. We are flying into Bangkok and out of HCMC and have three weeks in which to explore. We have friends in PP, HCMC and Hanoi whom we'd like to visit.

Any suggestions for travel (overland? fly?) and things not to be missed along the way would be great.

We want to try to relax a bit, so we don't want to try to do everything. We are both artists (so, interested in cultural attractions), we like to drink beer (but avoid drunken Aussie backpackers) and eating excellent food is high on the agenda! Budget is small but willing to pay for good times and quality!

Thanks in advance.

Pip

#1 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 06:11

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. I'm sure you will get as many different opinions as you get answers, but here's what I'd do:

* A few days in BKK then either overland (takes about a day) or fly to Siem Reap
    * Visit Angkor
    * Bus to Phnom Penh (bouncy but I really enjoyed the scenery)
    * PP with your friends - variety of things to do depending upon your preferences
    * Bus to HCMC
    * You can spend time with your friends in HCMC and use that as a base to visit the Mekong, Cu Chi Tunnels etc.
    * Fly up to Danang and from there travel to Hoi An for some relaxing / cultural / beach time
    * Bus to Hue for a day or two of culture if you fancy it
    * Overnight train or flight to Hanoi , side visit to Halong Bay

Great food and beer available along the way! And I could tell you where to avoid drunken Aussie backpackers in Hanoi if you want, but you'll work that out!

#2 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 20:40

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Excellent article on travelling to and from Cambodia:-
    http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/overland.htm

The site is excellent on everything to do with Cambodia.

In Cambodia and Vietnam you can get very good cheap accommodation.
    Food and drink is very good quality and much cheaper than western countries.

If you eat at local places as in not western run then its gets cheaper and cheaper.

Thailand/Cambodia and Vietnam all have a broad range of accomodation to fit any budget.

Personally I travel by bus and train. Like to experience the money i spend. Flying is quicker but you can miss out on alot.

seat61.com for train journeys, just go to vietnam link etc.

Enjoy

#3 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 22:24

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just make sure you don't travel through the war zone, Thailand - Cambodia.

#4 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 21:02

• Wozzer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2010

Pip

Travellingsarah has it about right.

An alternative would be to fly the Bangkok > Siem Reap leg (pricy I know), but it's quite a wasted day travelling overland - with some hassle at the border. There ain't that much to see on the way down - especially on the Cambodia side from Poipet to Siem Reap.

Another alternative I'd chuck in is to head down to Cambodias south coast (Kep/Kampot), and then travel through the Delta to Can Tho and onwards to HCMC.

As to 69berties note - there's more people been killed in Bangkok's 'war zones' than at the border with Cambodia. Just don't wear red (unless Manchester United) or yellow tee shirts

#5 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 17:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.