Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Internet Cafes in HCMC

• hsoa

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good internet cafe in Pham Ngu Lao or nearby?

I will need to use Skype for a few hours.
    Cost is not too important, as long as the service is fast enough for at least good audio and the location reasonably well-maintained.

I am unfamiliar with HCMC and the country, and I won't have much time to look around before I need to use it, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    TIA

#1 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 23:59

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

There are plenty of internet cafes in that area. None of them upmarket though. They're mostly full with kids playing games or backpackers sending emails. I think the connection is good enough for skype because i've seen & heard enough people using it.

Well-maintained is difficult anyway and highly subjective in that area. Wifi spots are plenty though and probably your best bet would be an internet computer in your guesthouse/hotel. There are plenty who have them but usually for guests only.

However, if it's really important and you want to be absolutely certain (and money is no objection), you're looking in the wrong area. Then your best bet would be a business center in any of the real upmarket hotels (Hyatt, Caravelle, Sheraton) in district 1 near Dong Khoi which is roughly 5-10 min away from Pham Ngu Lao by car/motorbike.

#2 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 18:10

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

This website has a list of internet cafes in Vietnam - good luck!

#3 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 00:29

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Free wifi is available at most hotels these days and I found that the best way to skype. Because travellers so often carry their own laptop or netbook there are fewer travellers internet cafes now, most are local ones full of kids playing games.

I gather that the expensive hotels charge for wifi.

#4 Posted: 23/4/2011 - 07:21

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just be aware in the backpackers area that they are renewing the phone cabling everywhere. It really is a case of them cutting the wires and the internet goes off for a couple of days while they transfer people over to the new cables. No prior warning is given to the business's either.

#5 Posted: 23/4/2011 - 22:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
hcmc airport facilities, shops, internet, cafes? ... By laallee on 29 May 2009 3 2989 3 Jun 2009
Mui Ne--Internet Cafes ... By hsoa on 6 May 2011 0 2817 6 May 2011
Internet cafes.....webcams? ... By theothervaletguy on 27 Dec 2010 0 2283 27 Dec 2010
Skype in internet cafes? ... By jourdin on 27 Aug 2008 1 2799 28 Aug 2008
Internet Cafes in Savannakhet Laos ... By kmeksavanh on 24 Sep 2009 4 3034 10 Oct 2009
Skype headsets in internet cafes ... By Jleef on 23 Jul 2009 3 3970 10 Aug 2009