Vietnam forum

Ho Chi Minh - Dalat - Nha Trang - Hanoi - Ha Long Bay

• gladysymho

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2011

Hi everyone,
    I am planning a 8 day trip to Vietnam in July 2011 and wanted to know if
    1. the direction of travel and
    2. the duration spent at these destinations are well-planned or should I skip some destinations?

1D in Ho Chi Minh City - No intention to do the Mekong Tour (Evening bus ride to the next destination)
    3D4N Dalat
    1D1N Nha Trang(Flight to Hanoi)
    0.5D Hanoi(Sinh Cafe Bus to Ha Long Bay)
    2D2N Ha Long Bay

I have also heard good feedback about Hue, Da Nang, Mui Ne and Hoi An.

3. Should I be swamping any of my destinations for the above?

4. Is there any recommendations for accommodations and travel routes from HCM to Dalat and Nha Trang?

Thanks for your help!

#1 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 14:04

• Advertisement

• Pikkie

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2011
    Total reviews: 3

Hey there!!

It looks good with the direction of your trip. Best to work your way up or down, I dont think it matters which way you do it.
    The time lines seem ok too, although I have not been to Dalat so I cant say if that is to long/long enough. I went to Hoi An and enjoyed that, it is a lovely little town. We didn't to much siteseeing there we went to the beach and this is a good place if you want to get any clothes made there is a main street that is just filled with clothing shops. If you want to do this, you will need to be there ar least 2/3 days as it takes a little while to make everything.

If you were to swop anything I would suggest Dalat and Nha Trang for any of the others as I think that others are a definate. I would just read up on all the ones you mentioned and see if any of them appeal to you more then Dalat or Nha Trang. You definatley will not be able to do them all, so just go for the ones that you like the sound of.

With regards to travel it is very easy to get around. You will be able to book a bus ticket (for almost any travel shop in HCMC) that will be able to take you from HCMC to Nha Trang and Dalat, see if you can get an overnight bus as that will save on accomodation and free up your days for sightseeing.

Ha Long bay is amazing. I did my trip throug Hanoi Backpackers (where I was staying). What we did hear is dont go for the cheapest tour as you might be moved from boat to boat, go for a bit more expensive one - it will be worth it.

Hope that helps.

Stacey

#2 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 22:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Personally I would spend all eight days in one place. So little time, I wouldn't want to surrender any traveling around. But that's me. It's not insanely hectic at any rate.

#3 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 02:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Definitely reduce your time in Dalat and spend more time in Hanoi . I enjoyed Dalat as a place to chill out in for a few days but I had been on the road for quite awhile at that point. Given your limited time, I don't think it warrants longer than 2 nights.

In terms of Nha Trang - I would suggest skipping it altogether - and those days on to Hanoi. It's an OK beach area, but nothing special. Hanoi is far more interesting.

#4 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 03:50

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I agree - cut your time in Dalat: the scenery around it is stunning so it's worth a day or two if that's what you're after but I don't think much of the town itself. Also agree about Nha Trang - if you're desperate for a beach then go, but you've only got one day there anyway which hardly makes it worth it the extra travel when you could fly from Dalat to Hanoi . Then spend the extra days in Hanoi and / or add an extra day to your Halong trip so you can get a bit of beach time there.

#5 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 09:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ho Chi Minh - Hanoi/Ha long bay ... By klaufi on 1 Apr 2013 1 1531 3 Apr 2013
Vietnam Hanoi --> Hue --> Da Nang --> Nha Trang --> Ho Chi Minh City ... By aussiegirl on 15 Apr 2011 10 11207 16 Jun 2011
Nha Trang, Mui Ne, Dalat ... By Evahu_210 on 12 May 2009 1 3632 12 May 2009
Dalat to Nha Trang ... By MorrieC on 2 Jan 2011 5 10873 5 Feb 2011
night bus from Nha Trang to Dalat ... By npeng on 3 May 2009 4 5106 6 May 2009
Nha Trang - Dalat (Motortour) ... By bartdebruijn87 on 27 Aug 2012 3 2721 18 Sep 2012
Road from Nha Trang to Dalat ... By mlr on 11 Aug 2009 7 12276 5 May 2010
Road from Nha Trang to Dalat ... By claire87uk on 21 Apr 2014 3 698 29 Apr 2014
New Scenic Road from Nha Trang to Dalat ... By alohatiger on 7 May 2008 2 4217 7 May 2008
Easy Riders Nha Trang and Dalat ... By Jogilroy on 11 Aug 2007 1 3394 12 Aug 2007