Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnamese New Year - Whooops!!

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Hi all

Can anyone help...not sure if I've timed our trip impeccably or it'll be a disaster but we get to Ho Chi Minh City on February 19th...and it seems the Vietnamese New Year starts on February 18th and lasts 3 days!!

2 Questions:
    1) Will this be a good time to be there (hope so!)
    2) Will all the touristy stuff/shops/restaurants still be open or does everything shut down for 3 days?

We plan to stay in Ho Chi Minh City til 21st then go on a Mekong Delta Tour...

Help!

#1 Posted: 11/1/2007 - 16:20

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Lucy,

Don't fret!

1) It is a good time to be there -- as long as you don't plan on doing too much travelling -- trains and flights will be booked solid, so if you need and semi-long distant travel needs, book them as soon as you can.

2) Some places (though not all) will shut up shop -- they'll still be plenty of opportunities to spend your Dong!

Mekong Delta tour should be fine -- but again, book it as soon as you can, as the trips are popular with domestic tourists as well as foreigners.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 11/1/2007 - 16:58

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Great! We look forward to enjoying some of the celebrations!
    Thanks for your swift response...just hope we can get some accommodation booked today!

Cheers!!

#3 Posted: 11/1/2007 - 17:17

• Cannam

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2007

Lucy,

I have been told that Vietnam's New Year Day will be February 17th (as opposed to February 18th for mainland China). Therefore, February 19th is the 3rd day of the new year. You will certainly miss the main celebrations but I hope the atmosphere will still be in the air.

#4 Posted: 12/1/2007 - 18:11

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Ah ok I found the dates on a random website so they might have been wrong. Either way happy days for me because we're in Hong Kong before Vietnam so we'll hopefully catch some of the celebrations there instead!

Thanks for letting me know...

#5 Posted: 12/1/2007 - 18:24

• cathrionas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Lucy, Have to say I am a but worried about being here (in Danang since yesterday) for the whole time as a lone traveller. The atmosphere is very welcoming though and so far, I'm having a lovely time.

#6 Posted: 11/2/2007 - 21:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.