Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Dong Hoi to Hue 2 day tour - Any tips

• ellco65

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011

Intend arriving in Dong Hoi at 9.51pm on TN1, check into guest house Ngoc Lan. Looking into private tour for 2 days with English speaking driver taking in on Day1 Phong Nha Cave back to hotel ( have been recommend sun spa resort?) Day 2 pick up from hotel Khe Saah Combat base, Vinh Moc tunnels, Hien luong bridge and Ben Hai River dropped off at Hue that afternoon. WHAT SORT OF COST SHOULD I EXPECT ( any ideas ) (family of six older children) Quoted 350 USD. incluldes van, driver, accommodation fo driver,toll, petrol and parking fee. (16 seat van ? ) seems pretty big and costly OR ANY TIPS

#1 Posted: 9/5/2011 - 10:26

• Advertisement

• Wozzer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2010

Don't know if you've booked it all, but this is a one-day alternative to your plan - but maybe o/n train from Hanoi ?? SE3 arrives Dong Hoi around 8am.

Visit Vinh Moc, Ben Hai River, Doc Mieu Base and maybe Truong Son Cenetery. Then on to Hue by late afternoon.

I don't know the price for a 15 seater, but it's around 160km for the trip - so that would be maybe $80 in a metered taxi. Perhaps add 50% more for a van and English-speaking driver. Even if you find a separate experienced guide to go along as well... perhaps 200 bucks tops.

I'm actually going there next week, doing roughly this trip - so I'll try find out some more and will post details.

I only mention this route because the Travelfish guys have written a good article on the DMZ sites www.travelfish.org/feature/80

#2 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 17:13

• ellco65

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011

Cheers Wozzer on your reply,
    Your correct I've have gone ahead and booked it and after plenty of research felt it was reasonable. Thanks for making us aware of the link to the DMZ sites article, good reading - I can arm the the family with what it's all about before we get there - they may take much more away with them. I'd be interested to see how you go next week with your tour of this area, have a great time Safe travelling!

#3 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 10:36

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

In Hue, you should visit to theImperial Citadel where the Nguyen Dynasty ruled between 1802 and 1945. Afterexploring the ruins of this wonderful monument take a cyclo( be careful about the price when take a cyclo, you had better ask advice from staff of the hotel) through the 'OldCity' to Tinh Tam Lake where the Emperors used to come to relax. Thisafternoon, visit the Mausoleum of Tu Duc, which was originally built as apalace retreat before becoming the Nguyen emperors' final resting place. Endthe day at Khai Dinh's Tomb which boasts a traditional Vietnamese design with aEuropean touch, making it unique from the other tombs in Hue.

#4 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 18:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phong Nha-Ke Bang tour from Dong Hoi. ... By AngusW on 5 May 2012 4 3479 6 May 2012