Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam cyclos

Posted by gatvietnam on 11/5/2011 at 00:52

Cyclo is among the most wonderful means to travel around any city in Vietnam. Unfortunately, cyclo crams may happen to be somewhere. What should we do to avoid these problems for tourists?

#1 gatvietnam has been a member since 9/5/2011. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 34

Posted by daawgon on 11/5/2011 at 01:51

There's very little you can do to prevent this, but you can stand your ground, and simply insist on paying only the previously agreed on fare. I was scammed in Hue (not my favorite VN city), but I stood my ground, did not give in, and when the cyclo driver asked for considerably more than the original price, I told him to take me to the police station - he soon lowered his expectations!

I did something similar in a Hanoi cab, when the driver could not find the address on a business card, and drove in circles around the Lake. I demanded that he stop the cab, and told him I was only paying 50% of the fare. Yes, he locked the doors, but I rolled down the window, and started screaming for the police. Again, I only paid what I wanted to pay. YOU SHOULD TOO!

I believe that the cyclos in Hoi An are basically honest, and I was also not scammed in a cyclo in Hanoi.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,093

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.