Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam cyclos

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Cyclo is among the most wonderful means to travel around any city in Vietnam. Unfortunately, cyclo crams may happen to be somewhere. What should we do to avoid these problems for tourists?

#1 Posted: 11/5/2011 - 00:52

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

There's very little you can do to prevent this, but you can stand your ground, and simply insist on paying only the previously agreed on fare. I was scammed in Hue (not my favorite VN city), but I stood my ground, did not give in, and when the cyclo driver asked for considerably more than the original price, I told him to take me to the police station - he soon lowered his expectations!

I did something similar in a Hanoi cab, when the driver could not find the address on a business card, and drove in circles around the Lake. I demanded that he stop the cab, and told him I was only paying 50% of the fare. Yes, he locked the doors, but I rolled down the window, and started screaming for the police. Again, I only paid what I wanted to pay. YOU SHOULD TOO!

I believe that the cyclos in Hoi An are basically honest, and I was also not scammed in a cyclo in Hanoi.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2011 - 01:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.