Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cambodia > Vietnam itinerary

• Bunnderful

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Hi all,

I have 2 weeks to spend in Cambodia and Vietnam this July, coming from Bangkok. The route I am considering is:

Fly to Siem reap for ~2 days >
    Bus to Phonm penh for about a day and a half>
    Bus to Saigon (including Mekong Delta) for 3.5 days>
    Fly to Hanoi (including Halong Bay) for 3.5 days>
    Fly back to U.S. from Hanoi

Is this itinerary practical in a little under two weeks given travel times? If not what should be skipped, or, on the other hand, what should be added?

Appreciate any and all insight!

#1 Posted: 11/5/2011 - 04:36

• Advertisement

• JasonB

Click here to learn more about JasonB
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

You can take a boat from Phnom Penh to get to Chau Doc (a part in Mekong Delta) Then do you trip in Mekong Delta, after that you can go to Sai Gon and fly to Hanoi.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2011 - 22:04

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

On the way from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi, you should make a stop in Hoian- a world heritage of Vietnam.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2011 - 10:22

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would probably suggest skipping Cambodia since you really aren't there long enough to see much anyhow. (Bus trip from SR to PP is basically 6 hours so that's a good chunk of a day gone. Fly straight to HCMC (Saigon) and spend your two weeks in Vietnam. You can still spend some time in Mekong Delta before heading north. I also agree with the previous poster - HoiAn is definitely worth checking out.

#4 Posted: 15/5/2011 - 11:19

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Ya, skip Cambodia. I love it, but not this trip...

'sheeed

#5 Posted: 15/5/2011 - 11:46

• camillasw

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

I agree - two weeks was barely enough in Vietnam let alone trying to cover both countries. And definitely try to fit in Hoi An, I spent 3 nights there and was the first place I would choose to have spent longer in. You can't go to Vietnam and not go to Hoi An!

#6 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 22:03

• Rasheeed

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

To each his own. Hoi An is a favorite of mine to spend LESS time in.

#7 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 11:16

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I loved Hoi An. But i don't consider it a must see. Why? It is a small town full of foreigners hanging out with each other and locals upping the prices on everything. It is cool to ride a bike to the beach and see the area. At night everyone chills out on the river. But as far as Vietnamese culture and sights, surely there are other places.
    OP you have little time. If Angkor Wat is a big deal for you then spend 3-4 days in Siem Reap. If you rush it, it will suck. I would not even try to do too much of Vietnam in such a short time. Spend 3-4 days in the Mekong area including Saigon. If you want to fly up to Hanoi for 3-4 days, cool. But Vietnam is a 3 week place to me. Just to much to do in less time. You could skip Cambodia this time. All two weeks in Vietnam.Then re-assess your plan. Or plan an all Vietnam trip for later.
    If such short stops is enough then do as you are but you will not get the real feel of such a diverse country. IMHO

#8 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 12:29

• Rasheeed

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I'm with you on that Thomas. I love me my Hue for the reasons I don't like Hoi An anymore...

#9 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 12:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.